Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Power of Purpose

As I prepare for ministry on Palm Sunday, I am musing on the power of purpose as demonstrated by Jesus. My sermon preparation is inseparable from my anticipation for Palm Sunday which introduces all-important Holy Week. Pat and I are looking for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday services to attend. My personal observance of Holy Week will include meditation and reflection on the events recorded in the Gospels. I believe our appreciation of Easter, Resurrection Day, is enriched as we deliberately prepare with soul-searching reflection.

Have you considered the power of the words, “Because the Sovereign LORD helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore have I set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame?” (Isaiah 50:7) Jesus is clearly the person about which Isaiah wrote.

I invite you to begin now to prepare for Holy Week and marvel with me at the power of Jesus’ purpose. Consider that

• In spite of knowing what was before Him, Jesus deliberately pushed toward Jerusalem. The details in preparation for His entrance into Jerusalem reminds us of His forethought and determination. The account is material for wonder.
• Jesus was barraged with questions concerning His authority. Religious professionals plotted to trap Jesus with cleverly designed questions. Jesus’ responses ought to fill us with awe and respect.
• If the Twelve were too weary to pray in Gethsemane, it seems that Jesus was equally exhausted from the day’s activities. And, yet, He prayed, a prayer which resulted in unrivaled obedience, was able to respond to the rough treatment with a serene composure, and even performed a miracle. Can you relate to the all-too-human, “When I am weary, stay out of my way?”
• The pain of public betrayal and abandonment is unfathomable. I wonder if Jesus heard the rooster’s crowing?
• Slapping, spitting, mocking and public disgrace set the table for crucifixion. Jesus’ Last Supper was more than 24 hours past. Ravaging hunger had joined hands with unrelenting fatigue and yet Jesus remained serene. I marvel!
• Have you considered the sorrow of the darkness of abandonment? “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me,” must be among the most anguished in human experience.
There are so many more experiences of Holy Week to consider. I hope you will explore them in depth and that we will find awe-filled worship flowing from the depths of our spirits. And, while you do, remember Jesus did it all on purpose! Isaiah prophesied centuries in advance of the first Holy week, “Therefore have I set my face like flint.” And, Jesus purposed to fulfill that prophecy. That is powerful!

No comments:

Post a Comment