Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Simple religion

James 1:16-17 is a succinct combination of warning and statement to which we might be wise to give added attention. The verses state simply, Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers. Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. The warning is against deception, “Don’t be deceived, my dear brothers.” When we accomplish something noteworthy our natural tendency is to step back and modestly boast (How is that for an oxymoron?), “Look at what I have done!” We impress ourselves easily. And, we share a natural desire to be applauded by others. Recognition, awards and affirmation – the more public, the better – are expected. Even church workers fall prey to extrinsic motivation. James simply stated, “Be careful with taking credit for something.”

A sobering statement follows on the heels of the warning, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights,” or, “Don’t take credit for what you didn’t do. If it’s good, it didn’t start with you!” Good always starts with God!

Is it time to consider how complicated we have made the “good” James says is worthy of our lives? Verse 27 ought to be a red letter alert, “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” It is interesting that many suffer from a “let down” when a large project is successfully completed. Could it be because the project is affirmed by others, but is not deemed significant by the One who calls to His service? Or, we hear a muted, or inaudible consensus, “Well, that’s done, what’s next?”

A few questions we might profitably ask ourselves include –

• How are my strategies and efforts addressing the religion God applauds working in the market place where people’s needs are?
• Am I doing things because of the applause or recognition of others? Or, am I at rest in my soul because I am obedient to Him who gives me assignments?
• How valid are contemporary institutional expectations and measurements? Or, who can prove that something is better because it is bigger?
• Why do I crave the approval of others, sometimes more than the smile of God?
• Is an individual I know, and with whom I have spoken recently, better equipped to deal with life because I personally shared in their need?
• Am I content to do my best where I am today, doing what I can today?
• Do I give money to charities but refuse to give my time touching people the charity is representing?
It seems to me that we have a tendency to wander away from the simplicity of what pleases God. Like Pat, my wife of almost 45 years, is fond of saying, “I’m just thinking out loud?”

No comments:

Post a Comment