Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mercy, peace and love be yours

The letter Jude wrote to the church is a study in efficiency. Jude uses only 614 English words to communicate truths which, when properly applied, equip Jesus’ learners to withstand all distractions from the course to follow.

With only 26 words Jude addresses all readers, assuring them of God’s calling and affection, “To those who have been called, who are loved by God the Father and kept by Jesus Christ: Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance.” I am among the most verbose, too wordy, long-winded, complicated in thoughts. Jude is direct, simple, and most positive!

I suggest that during Advent we renew ourselves and relay to others the simple truth of salvation through Jesus.

• “To those who have been called,” Jesus calls us! O wondrous truth, “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.” (John 15:16)
• “Who are loved by God the Father and kept by Jesus Christ.” Remembering how erratic I can be, how unpredictable our responses to the events of life, Jesus keeps us when we deserve to be discarded. The letter ending doxology is worthy of hiding in our memory for the Spirit to use in refreshing and renewing us.
• ‘Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance.” What do you think would happen if every Jesus Follower would only desire for others what Jude writes as his desire for us?
This Advent Season I am remembering that Jesus as Truth wearing clothes, walking among us, demonstrating His Father’s desire for us. And, I welcome you to join me in praying Jude’s desires for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment