Monday, February 20, 2012

Communciating the Message

From the preface of a book authored by Charles Haddon Spurgeon, “Last time I made a book I trod on some people’s corns and bunions, and they wrote me angry letters, asking, “Did you mean me?” This time, to save them the expense of a halfpenny card, I will begin my book by saying —
Whether I please or whether I tease,
I’ll give you my honest mind;
If the cap should fit,
pray wear it a bit,
If not, you can leave it behind.

At the risk of confirming friends’ suspicion that I am a “Johnny One Note,” redundant and stubborn, I appeal, again, asking that Jesus’ disciples assess our strident and militant assertion of rights. How well are we communicating Jesus in the role of political operatives? Can the “Joyful Sound” be heard above our boisterous, whining dissatisfaction with national politics? Is anyone moved toward the Christ when we rattle political swords weighted with numbers and money akin to worlds’? Can anyone come to believe “Jesus Saves” when the message is imbedded in the rabble of politics and rancor of truth wrapped in unloving, unforgiving, impatient language used in the world’s marketplace? Is there a place for kindness and mercy in the political arena?

The most frequently quoted line from Esther is Mordecai’s appeal to Hadassah, “Who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?” (4:14) In response to her uncle’s urgent request, Hadassah risked her life and became one of the great ladies of the faith. But, the line that challenges me is found in chapter eight, and is repeated three times, “They did not lay their hands on the plunder.” (Verses 10, 15, 16)

King Xerxes authorized Mordecai to issue decrees righting the wrongs of Haman. The “tables were turned.” (8:2) The weak were now large and in charge. The power had swung from a mean spirited antisemitism to the Jews. “Mordecai was prominent in the palace,” the hour for flexing muscles had arrived. (8:4) The Jews, terrorized and disenfranchised for decades slaughtered more than five hundred men, but refused to take the livelihood and security of the men’s families. “They did not lay their hands on the plunder.”

In a “go for the jugular” political arena, could the church prove its otherworldly value as citizens of a greater Kingdom? Are we confident that the “kingdom of this world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ? Are we convinced that, “He will reign forever and ever?” (Revelation 11:15)

Let us stride forward in faith, exploring ways to demonstrate the Kingdom of God, rather than sniveling fearfully, overeating and grabbing for the plunder. How do we do that? I am not sure, but kindness, forgiveness and mercy are the message of our King.

No comments:

Post a Comment