Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Beauty of Jesus - Part Three - An example to be experienced

The Beauty of Jesus - Part Three – An example to be experienced

When revisiting Andrew Murray’s Like Christ, his insights into Jesus’ example begin to etch into ones thoughts and conscience. Murray’s text from 1 Peter is familiar to Bible readers, but I am one who has wrongly glanced over the mention of “example” without proper consideration.

The text calls to a quality of spiritual life usually missing in the religious marketplace, one not readily pursued by the natural man. Peter wrote “To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. “He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth. When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.” – 1 Peter 2:21-25. As I seriously consider the Spirit’s call, I find prayers come more freely than instructions.

My morning prayers include:

• “Lord, remind me that I need your example in suffering. I run away from some of the best opportunities I have to grow into your likeness when I am confronted with inconveniences, adversity and stress. Forgive me!”
• “Retaliation remains an instinctive reaction for me! Fill me with your Spirit again. Teach me to forgive as freely as getting even and defending my reputation.”
• “Lord, since I am still learning trust, use whatever circumstance or experience needed to teach me. You know better than anyone how I can learn to trust the ‘one who judges justly’ as completely as you.”
• “Lord, I keep straying! Death to sin is elusive. Help me as I keep returning to the ‘overseer of my soul.’”
Some are far more religious than I and have processed the lessons to perfection. A few who have attained what I haven’t suggest areas of quality of spiritual life need additional attention. God’s Word and Andrew Murray’s Like Christ reminders are timely. I thank God for printed pages which continue to deliver life challenging, life changing truths nearly one hundred years after the death of the author.

Solomon understood and celebrated good counsel, “A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver. Like an earring of gold or an ornament of fine gold is a wise man’s rebuke to a listening ear.” (Proverbs 25:11-12)

No comments:

Post a Comment