Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A lesson from a New York City Firefighter

One of the most compelling paragraphs in Scripture is found in 1 Timothy. The aging Apostle Paul wrote to his protégée,
I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen
The importance of the "trustworthy statement that deserves full acceptance" commands attention and understanding.

I was shifting uncomfortably in a dentist’s anteroom while an intern occupied the "honored chair" in the inner sanctum, I thumbed through outdated magazines. (Have you ever wondered how much a doctor’s visit might cost if they bought current magazines?) One publication, Geo, caught my interest. Photos of New York City fire fighters, perspiring in the heat of summer and ice-coated in winter, filled several pages.

The article’s author interviewed a young fire fighter stationed in Fort Apache in the Bronx. The writer’s questions uncovered insights that have served me for more than two decades. The first question was, "Why are you a fire fighter?" He answered, "My grandparents immigrated from Ireland. Grandpa was a fire fighter and my father and his brothers were fire fighters. My siblings and I followed. Fire fighting runs in the family."

The second question was, "Have you ever saved a person’s life?" The tempo of the article picked up as the young man answered! "Yes! I’ll never forget the moment! I was a rookie when a call came to our station. Our rig was the first to arrive at a high rise with smoke streaming from upper story widows. I heard the screams of a woman and young children. Before the rig came to a full stop, I jumped off, grabbed my gear and ran toward the building entrance."

As I read, the pace of my own heart began to pick up speed. The young fire fighter continued, "I rushed up several flights of steps to where smoke filled all but the lowest part of the hallways. I crawled toward the screaming, opened the door to an apartment and was met by a mother and her two small children. I led them down the hallway, down the steps and into the fresh air at ground level."

Then, came the arresting line, "As I leaned against the fire truck, I thought, ‘That’s enough satisfaction for a lifetime.’ But, saving people’s lives sucks you in! I live for the next one!"

I wonder, "What if every child of God took their cue about vocation from their Heavenly Father and older Brother?" Does saving people’s lives "run in the family?" Have we been "sucked into" the joy of rescuing people from eternal fire? Is it possible that we misplace the "trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners?" Is the priority of rescuing people misplaced by other good activities? Saving people in jeopardy is not the only thing fire fighters do, just the most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment