Thursday, February 21, 2013

One of the wonders of my world

The Egyptian pyramids and descriptions of the Babylonian gardens are phenomenal. Men’s modern achievements are similar. Engineering feats like the Panama Canal and the Empire State Building stagger my imagination. How did men build such amazing things, without a lithium battery powered screw gun? Wouldn’t you love to see the Statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, the Sphinx and the Great Wall of China? (Someone ought to get a tour organized!)

The man-made wonders of the world are very different from the things which cause me to wonder. While reading through Judges recently I was reminded of something which has caused me to wonder for more than 46 years, the time I have been married to Pat Kolas Wegner. In Judges 13 Manoah, Samson’s father, was afraid that he and Mrs. Manoah (No name is recorded for the dear lady.) would die because they had met face-to-face with God.

While Manoah was fretting, Mrs. Manoah shared a Pat Kolasian word of wisdom. (Note: wisdom runs in the Kolas DNA and that clan ought to receive recognition.) Mrs. Manoah said, "If the LORD had meant to kill us, he would not have accepted a burnt offering and grain offering from our hands, nor shown us all these things or now told us this." (Judges 13:23) There it is, the matter about which I wonder. How did God know that Manoah would need some mental-emotional ballast to keep him upright? I marvel at that!

Last week Pat and I celebrated an anniversary. In the years we have walked together rearing children, serving the Lord and His church, doing the best we knew how to do, Pat has repeatedly offered a brief, but deeply insightful word. As Mrs. Manoah’s common sense counsel helped him, so Pat has often inspired me which has resulted in fewer errors and our life has been richer. It causes me to wonder. How did God know how to match us up and do it so perfectly? That wonder takes nothing away from canal diggers and skyscraper builders. It is in a class by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment