Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Nothing better than afew repetitions of 'Jesus is the Light!'

It has been a long time since I have even thought of the happy, rhythmic, Gospel song Pat and I first heard on a visit to First Church of Deliverance on South Wabash Street in Chicago. We were engaged to be married, so it is more than 47 years ago when the mass choir and Hammond organ drove home a simple, powerful message. This morning I awoke with the signature tune of the church.

When darkness comes, don’t fret or cry;
Just call on Jesus and do as I.
He’ll save your soul, forgive your sin;
Just open up your heart and let the light shine in!
O, Jesus is the light, He’s the light of the world.
Jesus is the light, He’s the light of the world.
Yes, Jesus is the light, He’s the light of the world.
He’s ever-shining in my soul!

The unique rhythm, soaring and thumping cadences of an unbelievably gifted musician on the Hammond B3 reinforcing the 100 or more voices cannot be matched, but Pat and I imported the tune from Chicago to churches we were called to pastor.

I loved it then and I love it now! The tune and truth lifted us again and again as we simply "aired out" deeply held convictions. When it comes to reinforcing faith, I’ll sing Luther’s and Wesley’s hymns. I will sing the testimonies penned by Fanny Crosby when my soul is sore from the scrapes and bruises common to life. Crosby’s popular poetry is a salve for the bruised and broken. A verse or two of "Blessed Assurance," sung with Spirit speeds healing to frayed nerves and brings more peace to a distraught spirit than all the pharmaceuticals known to man. Can you hear it?

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.


Refrain:
This is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long;
this is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long.


Perfect submission, perfect delight!
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels descending bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.


Perfect submission, all is at rest!
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with his goodness, lost in His love.


Some of the songs we sang last Lord’s Day are sure to have a similar effect some day in years to come as worshipers remember and reflect. Lyrics filled with truth and tunes that wrap their arms around despair, defeat and distress have the knack of carrying it all to another place! Tunes and truths can disarm hatred, dispense healing, deliver hope, and dissolve hurts.

You may listen in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWHg_F7YpK4 and capture a bit of the energy of First Church of Deliverance. A small library of additional high energy Gospel tunes that set hands to clapping and feet to tapping are only a click away on the information highway! Listen in! A great rendition of "Lift up your heads!" can be heard at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI7mDpdc4YM.

If you are as inspired as I have been, maybe we will organize a tour to First Church some Sunday night!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment