Monday, May 27, 2013

A Virtual Salute?

As technology advances we risk falling into the trap of "virtual deeds," the exercise of brushing up against reality but not fully engaging. Yesterday our pastor presented a masterful Memorial Day video salute. Combined with patriotic anthems and appropriate choruses, the worship service was moving and the pastoral prayer focused on thanksgiving for the unselfish service our military shares and implored the Lord to overshadow those in harm’s way and their family. It was excellent!


However, Dover Air Force Base is 30 minutes North of where we observed Memorial Day. The harsh reality is, military aircraft land at Dover with body bags of the recent casualties of war. Other bases receive the wounded. Individuals, extended families and whole communities are forever changed. Life pivots around a date with painful memories, sorrow and challenges making forward progress a daunting experience.

As I drove away from the church meeting, ate dinner with new friends, visited a veteran in a rehab facility, and helped Pat prepare for our guests at a holiday picnic I wondered if a few moments of salute in air conditioned comfort was enough in light of the sacrifices of others. My father-in-law, Roy Kolas, is part of the American demographic, Tom Brokaw’s "Greatest Generation." That generation daily loses almost 900 from its honored roles. Roy is 91 years-old. We don’t have many Memorial Days left to tell him "Thank you!" Viet Nam War veterans are aging, many now in their seventies. Young veterans, still in the prime of life, learn to walk on sophisticated, but still artificial limbs, scoot around in motorized wheel chairs or writhe in pain in military hospitals.

Is the grand Sunday morning experience enough? No, I don’t think so! Pat and I will call Roy this morning. My friend Ralph served in Europe a long time ago. I’ll call him too. It is the least I can do. I am open to suggestions about how to better express my appreciation for the selfless service of so many. This morning I repented. I admit, I have taken for granted the military of our nation. Shame on me!

Today I will pray for those military personnel who have enriched my life and help make a safe and prosperous nation possible. The selfless servants who have blessed us deserve more. Sunday morning salutes, the moving digital productions of colorful patriotism, do their best work when those who view them follow up with something more!

No comments:

Post a Comment