Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Anchored in Jesus

This week Pat and I were confronted with news that seems to be totally bad . . . the kind of message that has a dark cloud reaching in every direction from horizon to horizon. A former intern called to ask for a letter of recommendation. His career as a missionary has been put on hold. His nation where he and his young family are laying down their lives is so sensitive I have been asked to not mention the name of the nation in print.

My fiend did nothing wrong, but a family member has and a missionary is suddenly lifted across the world to help untangle the effects of sin. We have friends who have lost a child because of a drunk driver. Wrong! Many of my readers have ministered to children whose parent died prematurely because of destructive habits or stood by helplessly as we watch self-destructive behaviors.

While leading teams of ministerial interns in the 80's and 90's I discovered that responsible growth invariably followed a pattern, it is "RESPONSIBILITY + ACCOUNTABILITY = MATURITY." Parents begin with simple, attainable tasks like, "It is your job to take out the garbage," and follow up with, "Have you done what I have asked you?" Simple tasks become weightier responsibilities. Eventually a child is prepared to face life as an adult.

All sin, it seems to me, is the avoidance of properly facing personal responsibility. The fool thinks that his own reason is sufficient and lurches head-long into life, ill-prepared for the inevitable black clouds of the unexpected. Isaiah’s counsel is Gibraltar like, mammoth, immoveable, constant and reliable, "Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near." (Isaiah 55:6) Yes, the dark clouds come . . . often too frequently. And sometimes the clouds creeping up over the horizon appear in spite of one living a well-disciplined and Godly life. A career is put on hold. Plans are moth balled. Hopes are quietly stowed away awaiting fulfillment.

The best we can do today is to heed Isaiah’s advice and "seek the Lord while He may be found." When the dark and dreaded news arrives we can know the truth of a gospel song penned by Lewes E. Jones.
Upon life’s boundless ocean where mighty billows roll,
I’ve fixed my hope in Jesus, blest anchor of my soul;
When trials fierce assail me as storms are gath’ring o’er,
I rest upon His mercy and trust Him more.

 

Refrain:
I’ve anchored in Jesus, the storms of life I’ll brave,
I’ve anchored in Jesus, I fear no wind or wave;
I’ve anchored in Jesus, for He hath pow’r to save,
I’ve anchored to the Rock of Ages.


He keeps my soul from evil and gives me blessed peace,
His voice hath stilled the waters and bid their tumult cease;
My Pilot and Deliv’rer, to Him I all confide,
For always when I need Him, He’s at my side.


He is my Friend and Savior, in Him my anchor’s cast,
He drives away my sorrows and shields me from the blast;
By faith I’m looking upward beyond life’s troubled sea,
There I behold a haven prepared for me.

The pianist has finished the prelude, come along and sing!


No comments:

Post a Comment