Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Grace: God's Transforming Power

The last item I posted related my experience in a downtown Orlando, Florida church. I promised a follow-up and thought that it would come on the heals of that post. But, I continued to muse and assess what my brother and I had experienced. That took some time!

I thought that I would write about an old song the worship leader led following Charles Wesley’s "O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing." Though the song is beautiful and powerful, the real story is the effectiveness of the worship leader in bringing the congregation face-to-face with the truth of the grace of God. Wesley’s hymn was followed immediately with Haldor Lillenas’ "Wonderful Grace of Jesus." The artistry and skill of the leader urged the congregation to build on "O for a Thousand Tongues."

Allow me to explain what my brother Dennis and I experienced with about 200 others in a 20 minute worship segment. The leader’s explanation of how Wesley’s song came about and was first experienced prompted a deep reverence for the grace of God in my own life. I was ready for what was to come next, but not everyone was!

While singing the first verse, I was little concerned that my brother’s mellow tenor voice and my raspy "whatever" voice made us stand out like people who had recently eaten too much garlic. The last words of the verse waned.
Wonderful grace of Jesus,
Greater than all my sin;
How shall my tongue describe it,
Where shall its praise begin?
Taking away my burden,
Setting my spirit free;
For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.


Refrain
Wonderful the matchless grace of Jesus,
Deeper than the mighty rolling sea;
Wonderful grace, all sufficient for me, for even me.
Broader than the scope of my transgressions,
Greater far than all my sin and shame,
O magnify the precious Name of Jesus.
Praise His Name!

The leader abruptly stopped the accompanying musicians and explained that the grace of God deserved a fullness and depth of worship. With no trace criticism he mentioned, "Men, sing ‘Wonderful!’ The grace of God is why we are here! The musicians were asked to add volume and deliberate emphasis, and the men were asked to stress ‘Wonderful’ playfully asking them to avoid anything that sounded like Lawrence Welk!.He then asked the men to sing, and about 75 or 80 robust men enthusiastically filled the cavernous space with:
Wonderful grace of Jesus,
Reaching to all the lost,
By it I have been pardoned,Saved to the uttermost,
Chains have been torn asunder,
Giving me liberty;
For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.

The ladies joined in the refrain, the organ soared, the piano embellished, but the Spirit of the Living God lifted souls into sin releasing, devil-defying truth. In a staid older congregation I saw hands being lifted and tears form and flow down cheeks. The staid were moved! No one had to say, "God is in the house," or "Someone give praise!" Everyone who has ever been touched by the Holy Spirit knew they stood in the Presence of the Holy!

The last verse was sung with a still greater intensity! I was near to heaven in that moment. We sang:
Wonderful grace of Jesus,
Reaching the most defiled,
By its transforming power,
Making him God’s dear child,
Purchasing peace and heaven,
For all eternity;
And the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.

Dennis and I were among about 200 people, but I was face-to-face with the Eternal God. I stood and sang in amazed wonder that I, the "most defiled" was allowed to sing because of a "transforming power" that made me "God’s dear child!" The song wasn’t the most important thing at that moment. As an instrument of the Spirit, the worship leader brought us face-to-face, heart-to-heart and mind-to-mind with the grace of God. At that moment worship happened! The grace and truth of Jesus were in very close proximity. I believe lives were changed. Mine was!

My friend and editor, Bob Neuman, has already asked that we attend this church during our denomination’s General Council later this year. We probably will!

No comments:

Post a Comment