Wednesday, March 23, 2011

This morning's dream, nightmare

Before retiring last night, I selected a book that I would begin reading this morning. It is Eugene Peterson’ Answering God: The Psalms as Tools for Prayer. Peterson is an old friend, though we have never met face-to-face. A pastor-theologian, Dr. Peterson’s writings have been forming my thoughts and spirit for years.

Sleep came as easily as usual, until very early this morning, I dreamed – a real nightmare. In my dream I was in chapel at my alma mater, a place influential in forming my spirit, where I learned much about how the Holy Spirit works and began to understand a spiritual leader’s responsibility in public worship. In that chapel my capacity to respond to God grew as wise spiritual guides cautioned about excesses and emphasized eternal truths. It is also where the lexicon of worship literature grew exponentially. In that room I learned hymns written in the fiery trials of the Protestant Reformation, the anthems of the Wesleyan tradition so rich with theology, and gospel songs which urged confessions of personal faith in public assembly.

In my dream, nightmare, the leader of the service stood and suggested that the hundreds filling the room sing Martin Luther’s “A Mighty Fortress is Our God.” Poised and ready to begin, the leader turned to the musicians who were shrugging their shoulders saying, “We don’t know that song.” The leader, did his best to begin, but noone knew the melody and after two or three attempts, the endeavor was abandoned.

The premise of Eugene Peterson’s book is, “The Psalms are the tool box used to learn prayer.” He strongly urges praying the Psalms monthly or bi-monthly until the Psalms form the pray-er. Here is one on many great lines I read this morning. “What is essential in prayer is not that we learn to express ourselves, but that we learn to answer God. The Psalms show us how to answer.”

Great poetry has been written in every generation. It endures, especially when set to music.. Luther’s hymns have breathed living faith into the church for nearly 600 years. Wesley’s poems have been the boiler plate of evangelical theology sung by the church for 400 years. A few gospel songs have lasted 100 or more years, but the Psalms endure forever. Heaven and earth will pass away, but not the Psalms.

My brother and I memorized Psalm One, in the King James Version, at our mother’s knee.
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.
I wonder what my life may have been if Annie Wegner had not taught us that Psalm, and others.

I will be deeply troubled by this morning’s dream. The 600 year-old “A Mighty Fortress is Our God” is part of my spiritual formation. Wesley’s “And Can it Be?” defines the cross and resurrection as perfectly as anything written – outside the Bible. And Eliza Hewitts’ 120 year-old, “My Faith Has Found a Resting Place,” still moves me in public confession of faith. But, the Psalms are eternal and essential for the formation of Jesus’ disciples.

If you would like to follow along, please click on this link, http://renewedcities.blogspot.com, and add to your “favorites list.” Open the “blog of the day.” At the site, you may respond and your comments will refine our thoughts and strengthen faith.

By the way, our new home address is 17064 Jays Way, Milton, DE 19968.

No comments:

Post a Comment