Tuesday, March 29, 2011

We are looking for a prayer meeting!

Pat and I are choosing a church to call “home” when ministry isn’t calling us away. We are determined to become a positive member with or without an up-front role. Each week pastors and congregations are “auditioning” for us without knowing it. We are exploring churches looking for specific comforting assurances that we are “home.” Though Pat and my priority lists are not identical, they are very similar. First, we are both looking for a praying church. A ministry shibboleth for more than 20 years was repetitively stated, When I work, I work. When I pray, God works.

The route from Highway Tabernacle to Resurrection Life Church includes a gorgeous landmark, the building where Congregation Rodeph Shalom gathers for worship and prayer. Isaiah’s words are meticulously carved into the limestone facade, “My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations.” (Isaiah 56:7) Jesus repeated Isaiah while driving out those who misused the house of prayer. Jesus’ tongue lashing was as heated as any coach at half time. (Matthew 21:12-13)

Pat and I are discovering that church bulletins promote bake sales, car washes, Bible studies and concerts with digitally enhanced flair. Projected images announce a wide variety of religious opportunities, but frequently fail to mention a prayer meeting. We are really asking, “Where can I go to meet with others for prayer?” The rhythms of our life have included Sunday morning prayer meeting, “First Sunday Prayer,” and other occasions when people gathered to meet with God.

Eugene Peterson wrote in Answering God, “Prayer often originates when we are alone. Deep within us are ‘sighs too deep for words.’ ... All the same, for these prayers to develop into full maturity, they must be integrated into the praying community.” The prayer meeting is the most natural place for sharing burdens, confessing sins, and moving faith forward as the Spirit prompts intercessions through many present and praying.

In addition, we are listening for the pastor’s prayers. Alas, to date, we have not heard a pastoral prayer, a shepherd’s appeal for the nations, the city, public servants, or the people present who are weighed down and broken. I miss praying pastoral prayers, and am listening for a pastor to reveal his heart as prayers flow in spiritual worship.

The church prayer meeting is a high priority for Pat and me. A praying pastor is equally important. We are not prepared to forfeit an axiom for life, When I work, I work. When I pray, God works.

No comments:

Post a Comment