Monday, May 9, 2011

Little things add up

There is great line tucked into the text of George Eliot’s classic work, Silas Marner. “Our consciousness rarely registers the beginning of a growth within us any more that without us: there have been many circulations of the sap before we detect the smallest sign of a bud.” The author’s observation squares with human experience and Scripture.

The attitudes and actions which disqualify us from full usefulness do not occur in a moment, but grow out of small experiences, lapses in judgment, and sins to which we grow accustomed. Esau serves as an example. Esau was thriving while his flaws were hidden to those nearest him. Disqualifying traits were either ignored or Isaac, with parental love, simply looked the other way.
“Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many. See that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his inheritance rights as the oldest son.” – Hebrews `12:15-17
Esau presumed that a rash moment would have little or no long-range effect. But, “Many circulations of sap” had coursed through his life story and the seed of bad judgment had germinated.

David’s private sins were buried beneath his reputation as a conquering warrior and champion.
“Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions.
Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.
Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge.
Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.” – Psalm 51:1-5
The bold warrior champion was undone by secrets tucked away in the depth of his spirit.

In contrast, the Apostle Paul writes of pure motives and acceptable behavior.
“My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts. At that time each will receive his praise from God.” – 1 Corinthians 4:4-5
Aren’t you glad the Holy Spirit uses many vehicles to call us to the truth in God. While George Eliot was certainly not a poster girl for church youth groups, her writing is still an instrument of the Spirit.

(By the way, Silas Marner is a great read!)

No comments:

Post a Comment