Friday, October 7, 2011

Christ, The Center

Cardinal John Henry Newman (1801-1890) reinforced a foundational truth using a simple analogy, “A circumference cannot be established until a center is known.” Similarly, radio preacher and writer, C. M. Ward stated, “No one can play a simple scale until he knows middle C!” In his colorful illustrative style, while preaching Ward walked from various points on the church platform, returned to the piano and sounded the middle C, illustrating the truth that middle C key must be found before music could be played.

Cardinal Newman’s manuscripts are among my current reading. I heard Reverend Ward’s illustration in the late 1960's. The single, simple lesson is enduring. Without a center, one simply drifts without an “homing” orientation. Several Scripture passages reinforce the centrality of Jesus, the Christ.

• In a burst of Holy Spirit given insight into Jesus’ identity essential to saving faith, Peter declared, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” (Matthew 16:16)
• The Apostle Paul taught the centrality of Christ to the philosophers at the Areapogus in Athens, “For in him we live and move and have our being.’ (Acts 17:29)
• In response to a church distracted with secondary issues, Paul wrote, “And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.” (2 Corinthians 9:8)
• In personal testimony, Paul sharpens the focus on Christ’s centrality, “I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.” (Philippians 3:8)
• And, Paul’s sweeping, all-encompassing declaration is the centering truth of which the Spirit convinces all who will believe. “For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. (Colossians 1:16-17)
• Finally, Jesus said of himself, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well.” (John 14:6)
Without Jesus in the center, life is disorganized and hopeless. The picture of a center-less person is like one gathering feathers to fill a pillow while a fan runs at its fastest speed, scattering the feathers. Centering on Jesus brings peace, order, contentment.

Our prayer list has a growing list of names of those battling cancer, unsaved friends, those we know who are unemployment and broken marriages. Ones we love contend with nasty diseases. The list is long. Caring is demanding. Some burdens are extraordinarily heavy. The challenges of life cast a long shadow. If the center, Jesus, the Christ, is in focus, faith remains. Hope endures. The future remains positive. Salvation is present.

A favorite hymn captures the truth well. I sing it often! It will help us both if you will sing along!

My faith has found a resting place,
Not in device nor creed;
I trust the Ever-living One,
His wounds for me shall plead.

Refrain:
I need no other argument,
I need no other plea;
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me.

Enough for me that Jesus saves,
This ends my fear and doubt;
A sinful soul I come to Him,
He'll never cast me out.



My heart is leaning on the Word,
The written Word of God,
Salvation by my Savior's name,
Salvation through His blood.

My great Physician heals the sick,
The lost He came to save;
For me His precious blood He shed,
For me His life He gave.

No comments:

Post a Comment