Wednesday, October 5, 2011

How and what ought churches promote?

During our last year in Michigan I was privileged to have an older minister, a former district superintendent, on our pastoral team. The dear brother taught me daily as I observed and listened. On one occasion my friend and mentor sorted the church mail. More than fifteen promotional pieces announcing television specials, large events featuring bigger-than-life personalities, and appeals for money to fund the events filled our mailbox. Each piece was replete with photos of the featured personality as speaker, miracle worker, or poised to impart blessings. The publications reported the great works for which the minister took credit. After sorting, my mentor dropped the mail on the corner of my desk and shrugged as he left my study saying, “We really wouldn’t know much about these people if they didn’t tell us themselves.”

Self-promotion is frowned upon in business. People who boast of their accomplishments are frequently ostracized. But self-promotion has become acceptable in the church world. I understand the value of good advertising. The challenge is to discover the proper way to get the Message to the marketplace without omitting the One who actually does the saving, healing, hope giving, delivering, etc.

Macy’s prints photos of their merchandise. Ford promotes its product. Restaurants boast of their tasty menu entrees. Should the church omit Jesus in her advertising? The apostles serving in their first weeks of ministry declared to those who had power to kill them, “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:12) Is it possible that we could lose our way when “The Way” is overlooked or inadvertently relegated to a secondary tier of importance?

At a workshop designed to inform attendees about those being persecuted and martyred for the Faith, one presenter said, “People everywhere have gods. In my country people worship several thousand different gods. But, if they worship Jesus, or declare Him as Lord, they are killed!”

Occasionally we sing a song in church which captures the truth of Jesus’ rightful place.
Jesus, be the center
Be my source, be my light Jesus
Jesus, be the center
Be my song Jesus

Be the fire in my heart
Be the wind in my sails
Be the reason that I live

Jesus, Jesus,
Jesus be my vision
Be my help
Be my guide, Jesus.

© 1999 Vineyard Songs

No comments:

Post a Comment