Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Lord, our needed refuge

Psalm 71 begins with, In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame. Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness; turn your ear to me and save me. When reading the Psalm as part of my daily encounter with God, I asked, “From whom or what do I need to be rescued and delivered?” Today, I have no enemies of note, at least none who have put me on notice of their status. David, the Psalmist, was a military man, familiar with war and conflict. But, I have lived as a pastor, have lived in healing communities, and urged others to peaceful resolutions when conflict appears. David’s “strong refuge” since being “brought forth from his mother’s womb,” prompted consideration about a different kind of enemy. Enemies, however, may be inside. The highly-organized and stubbornly-disciplined adversaries often wear the uniforms of self-doubt and fears based on real and imaginary circumstances. The Apostle Paul alluded to the militant internal forces arrayed against him when he cried out with serious concern about how he would survive. “So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.” – Romans 7:21-15 Good intentions too often are swallowed up by internal enemies chanting, “Who do you think you are?” Or, “Others have tried and failed, and so will you!” chatters with spirit-numbing cadence from within. Both Psalmist and Paul understood, “We need Divine help!” a rescuer, a deliverer, someone who will interrupt the sounds of despair and defeat. David sings, Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come. “I am going to make it!” Your righteousness reaches to the skies, O God, you who have done great things! Paul’s response to the internal struggle is, Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! From the outside, the enemies of our souls appear as paper dolls, but internally, they roar as lions, laugh as hyenas and chatter like chimpanzees! We need help! A Deliverer! One who will rescue! And, HE does!

No comments:

Post a Comment