Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Salute to the Pentecostal Evangel

The Pentecostal Evangel is one of the few stalwart journals I have read for many years. As a boy I read about miracles of healing and provisions too numerous to mention. The experiences of people who lived in places I will never visit enriched my life and expanded my faith. The Evangel, as it was commonly known, taught me that the smaller church in which I worshiped, learned and served was part of something that spanned the world.

In 1962 I visited the Gospel Publishing House for the first time, the place where The Evangel was printed and distributed. Tons of paper were spent every week connecting people with people, people with Jesus. We were reminded that Jesus was still doing His work as He had promised.

While reading The Evangel Sunday afternoons, I learned about missionaries who reported experiences of peril and blessing. I experienced their challenges and success vicariously and applied the learned lessons in my own circumstances years later. The Sunday afternoon reads proved to be profitable.

This past Sunday’s Mother’s Day edition was especially good. I recommend you read, “Reflections on a Mother’s Love,” by a small group of children sharing warm stories about their mother. Laura Qualls’ story is worthy of musing on at length. And, the item about attending church camp is also thought provoking. If your church doesn’t distribute The Evangel, you may read it on line at http://pe.ag.org/.

The Evangel is a trustworthy communications tool. I recommend reading it. And, no, I have no financial stock in Gospel Publishing House!

No comments:

Post a Comment