Thursday, October 25, 2012

Why write?

Why do I write? Whom do I hope will read what I write? In short, by writing I hope to speak to issues I deem important from my grave. I write primarily for my children and grandchildren and am pleased when anyone else looks over my shoulder, or on my children’s iPad or computer monitor. Being an old Neanderthal who prefers paper and ink symbols bound into books, I too am learning from those who speak from their graves.

Most of the time I am merely hoping that others will consider issues and ideas I raise to be worthy of consideration and conversation. On occasion I have written items to put forward an outrageous idea, a gross overstatement, or a preposterous hypothesis just to stimulate thinking. I believe change always begins with an idea, a consideration of the possibility of a better way.

I remember reading about a pastor proudly reported to his church during the congregation’s annual business meeting, "This past year I knocked on over 500 doors welcoming the residents of the home to attend our church!" When the meeting chairman asked, "Are there any questions for the pastor about his report?" one person asked, "How many came to church?" "None," the pastor replied. The follow up question was, "What will you do this year to stimulate growth in the church?" "I’ll call on 1000 families!"

Huh? Dig a deeper rut? Flog away in ineffectiveness?

The writer of the Book of Hebrews cites an expectation of "better things," (chapter 6) for his (or her) readers. Later, the writer celebrates Jesus’ "superior ministry" and "better covenant" (Chapter 7) and "better sacrifice" (chapter 11). In light of the charges and counter charges of political candidates, I am doubly thrilled that I am a citizen of a "better country" (chapter 11).

I value your responses, reactions, agreement and uneasiness with my probing around the comforts of ordinary thinking. New ideas excite me and I fancy myself to be a pyromaniac who determines to light fires of redemptive change in as many followers of Jesus as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment