Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Word Alive: A Song Worth Singing

Comparing the sheer joy of reading God’s Word to anything else might be sacrilege. But, I have the urge! Some days while quietly reading, the words on the page take life! The Holy Spirit causes the truth on the page to vibrate into the most remote vault in my soul. While impossible to explain, the experiences are so deep, so real, so pleasantly life-changing that I long for the next moment of wonder in the Word.

It happened again today! While reading the account of frogs and flies sent by God to Egypt, sharing pages with the lice and ice falling from the sky before Pharaoh’s hard heart allowed the Exodus, the Spirit reminded me of a saving truth . . . a truth I first learned as a boy. "The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are; and when I see the blood, I will pass over you." (Exodus 12:13) The theme was reinforced frequently during Communion services and sung by blue collar labor class Detroiters with ordinary voices.
Christ our Redeemer died on the cross,
Died for the sinner, paid all his due;
All who receive Him need never fear,
Yes, He will pass, will pass over you.


Refrain:
When I see the blood, when I see the blood,
When I see the blood, I will pass, I will pass over you.


Chiefest of sinners, Jesus will save;
As He has promised, so He will do;

Oh, sinner, hear Him, trust in His Word,
Then He will pass, will pass over you.

Judgment is coming, all will be there.
Who have rejected, who have refused?
Oh, sinner, hasten, let Jesus in,
Oh, He will pass, will pass over you.


O great compassion! O boundless love!
Jesus hath power, Jesus is true;
All who believe are safe from the storm,
Oh, He will pass, will pass over you.


From among the common people, there was no operatic polish or symphonic accompaniment, the Spirit inspired the church to declare extraordinary truth. That truth bore down into our souls. As I read this morning, I was alerted to a new appreciation for the sustaining power of a song, a song which declares Gospel truth. I have little influence nowadays over what is sung in church, but I recommend that we sing the truth that saves in as many ways as we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment