Monday, January 28, 2013

Burden Bearers

As I read through the older King James Version of the Bible earlier this year, I stumbled over vocabulary that was more familiar in my youth. Have you ever wondered why the Kohathites important? For instance, in the King James Version Numbers 4:19 says, ". . . when they approach unto the most holy things: Aaron and his sons shall go in, and appoint them everyone to his service and to his burden." The language arrested my thoughts for a moment with, "What burden?"

The language of The New International Version says, ". . . when they come near the most holy things, do this for them: Aaron and his sons are to go into the sanctuary and assign to each man his work and what he is to carry." Aha! Everyone has an assigned piece of the Tabernacle to carry. No one is exempt from sharing responsibility. A whole clan of Kohathites was available to the larger priesthood. The Lord says, "Don’t overlook the help you have, and don’t deny them the opportunity to share in the blessing of service."

Every pastor has known the blessing of the Kohathites, the people who work behind the scenes, experts at carrying and moving. Ernie and Betty were treasurers who made the work of the pastor pure joy. Don and Sam were skilled differently, but each loved to keep God’s house looking beautiful. A roster of secretaries, Nancy, Marilyn, Arlena, Rachel, Emily and Becky have made life better and everything run more smoothly. (I know "administrative assistant" is the more culturally correct, but I am writing with retro language running around in my head.) I am a little skittish about mentioning my son-in-law, Otis, because of nepotism’s stigma. But, few have carried more assignments with so little recognition. Hundreds of others enjoyed attention to details which allowed me to dream and define the huge sweeping pictures the Lord had shown me. On many occasions someone would ask about a detail in the church kitchen, a line item in the budget, or a detail that only a Kohathite could answer. Small group leaders, nameless Kohathites, and I shared pastoral ministry and we all grew together.

"Burden" surfaces again in Numbers 11:16-17, "The LORD said to Moses: ‘Bring me seventy of Israel’s elders who are known to you as leaders and officials among the people. Have them come to the Tent of Meeting, that they may stand there with you. I will come down and speak with you there, and I will take of the Spirit that is on you and put the Spirit on them. They will help you carry the burden of the people so that you will not have to carry it alone.’" (Emphasis mine) The same Spirit that equipped and qualified Moses was upon the rank and file, people like the Kohathites. The Spirit breathes on those whom He wills for the purposes that suit the One who made us.

If you are a leader, ask the Lord to show you those with whom you can share the burden. You will then join me in celebrating the Kohathites which make life better than we could have ever known it doing everything ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment