Friday, March 8, 2013

Should we really pray that way?

I probably shouldn’t, but I am compelled to comment on a political issue which has surfaced in the church. First, I must affirm that I have never registered with a political party. Second, as a loyal subject of the United States of America, I pay taxes, vote, pay taxes, volunteer in my community, pay taxes . . . And finally, my citizenship is in heaven. I don’t have an axe of any kind to grind.

Well-meaning, devout people, sincere people who are deeply concerned about the current condition of our nation, came to me questioning me about David’s prayer which begins in Psalm 109:8 –
May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership.
May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow.
May his children be wandering beggars; may they be driven from their ruined homes.
May a creditor seize all he has; may strangers plunder the fruits of his labor.
May no one extend kindness to him or take pity on his fatherless children.
May his descendants be cut off, their names blotted out from the next generation.

The question presented to me was, "Do you ever pray this prayer about President Obama?" I was shocked! I cannot remember praying against anyone in that way. I have had evil intentions about another (not toward anyone reading this blog), but I cannot remember praying that way, and certainly not about a national leader.

The idea was posed in a setting where I was enjoying good-humored fellowship, wholesome bantering, and true friendship. The context did nothing to prepare me for the request to offer my opinion. The question was, "Is a meanspirited prayer fitting for a Christian?" And, "Would I pray along with David in regard to our President?"

Months ago I learned that some Christians proudly report that they refuse to even pray for President Obama, or respect him, even though the Bible commands the practice. Consider, carefully and thoroughly the intentions and spirit of the Pauline Epistles, Romans 13:1-6; Colossians 1:16; Titus 3:1; 1 Timothy 2:2. Do I embrace all of the President’s agenda? No! Am I comfortable with the direction the nation seems to be moving? No! Do I have a mandate to wish him dead? No!

My first responses to the text from which my friends pulled the imprecatory are several, presented in the form of questions.
Who is urging us to pray for another man’s death?
Have we prayed our President’s heart is made right before God by fully embracing the message of the Gospel?
Who are we to determine that the replacement will be better than the one already serving by God’s allowance?
Is the church prepared to suffer with a grieving widow and orphans in the event our prayers are answered? The care of widows and orphans is the proof on true Christianity. (James 1:27)
Are we comfortable with wishing homelessness on anyone? Are we really? Is poverty a condition we want others to experience?
Do I want to be numbered with an angry crowd wishing evil, or identified with those who are kind, patient, gentle, joyful, and who love peace? (Galatians 5:22-26)

If David’s prayer is prayed, and answered, the result may be more complicated than praying for our President to gain wisdom, seek humility or long for understanding. Are we comfortable, and consistent, with praying that godly people gain access to the Oval Office and beam rays of life-giving light onto thorny problems and stubborn people?

At the outset David’s prayer is about as angry as a frustrated man can pray. But, the larger context includes the good king’s better judgment. David concludes his man-to-God dialogue with –
Help me, O LORD my God; save me in accordance with your love.
Let them know that it is your hand, that you, O LORD, have done it.
They may curse, but you will bless; when they attack they will be put to shame, but your servant will rejoice.
My accusers will be clothed with disgrace and wrapped in shame as in a cloak.
With my mouth I will greatly extol the LORD; in the great throng I will praise him.
For he stands at the right hand of the needy one, to save his life from those who condemn him.

Those that the press describes as the "Christian right" are regularly characterized as pompous, angry, vindictive, stubborn and narrow-minded. Wouldn’t it be disarming if our prayers were that we would become known for words of wisdom, kindness, catalysts for redemptive change? I would be more comfortable with that designation!

No comments:

Post a Comment