Monday, June 17, 2013

Fanny Crosby Week: Face to Face

Last week I read a good book by an often-published author. The ideas were stimulating, the progression was excellent, but I still have a nagging complaint. When I enter the book into my reading log, I will place "225" in the column for "pages read." But, over 50 pages were blank, except for an occasional illustration on a page preceding a new chapter. I only paid $1.00 for the tome at a yard sale, so it’s not the money, but the principle of counting pages that are blank. And, what about the wasted paper? (I never thought I would join forces with tree-hugging leftists.)

In contrast, one of my favorite Christian song writers is Fanny Crosby. I cut my teeth while learning her songs, "Rescue the Perishing" and "Pass Me Not," are etched forever in my soul. They are two of 16 published in the hymn book we used for over ten years at our last assignment.

Fanny Crosby lost her sight when only a few weeks old because of a doctor’s error and remained blind for the duration of her nearly 95 year-long lifetime. Apparently she had a thrifty sense of how to use time and paper! It is estimated that Fanny Crosby penned 8000 poems. On occasion she would hear a new tune and lyric and question, "Who wrote that?" and would learn that she had written the lyrics years before! How could one forget the fruit of their own creativity?

This week will be "Fanny Crosby Week" for "Renewed Cities." We will explore the impact of lyrical treasures often ignored today, but instrumental in shaping the spirits of millions for generations. (The first poem of Ms. Crosby’s was published before 1830!)

Can you remember singing the classic words of "Face to Face?" I can! And, its truth is all the move powerful when one remembers, Fanny Crosby’s blindness!

 
Face to face with Christ, my Savior,
Face to face—what will it be?
When with rapture I behold Him,
Jesus Christ who died for me.

Face to face I shall behold Him,
Far beyond the starry sky;
Face to face in all His glory,
I shall see Him by and by!

Only faintly now, I see Him,
With the darkling veil between,
But a blessed day is coming,
When His glory shall be seen.

What rejoicing in His presence,
When are banished grief and pain;
When the crooked ways are straightened,

And the dark things shall be plain.
Face to face! O blissful moment!
Face to face—to see and know;
Face to face with my Redeemer,
Jesus Christ who loves me so.

Source:
http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php/h/963#ixzz2WTtkdYqm

Every time I hear this song I am reminded of St. John’s encouragement, "Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is." 1 John 3:2 (NIV) Thank you Ms. Crosby! You served us well in reminding us all of what is ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment