Thursday, June 6, 2013

Wesley Week: Waking Up!

In our neighborhood they begin just before dawn, about 10,000 of them . . . "tweeoou, tweeou, tweeou . . . cheep, tweet, cheep, tweet . . . boooy, boooy, boooy, boooy . . . caw, caw, caw . . . an assortment of world-class sounds only an Eternal God could create. To be awakened by a choir of birds, each a unique creation of God, is a phenomenon rather new to us. Most of my life I have lived in crowded places. City noises drowned out the gentle glory of aviary audio. Now I love to awaken on mornings when our windows are open. The wake-up chorus provided by a feathered glee club is a sampler of heaven-created wonder.

In contrast to the glory of early morning symphonies of sound, a neighbor 100 yards away screams curses at children. "Get moving . . . you’re gonna be late . . . what’s wrong with you?" Pat and I cringe as we hear the damage being inflicted on little children’s pliable spirits, and we pray. "Lord, please give us an opportunity to approach and confront a frustrated mother. Help us abort the systemic ruin and deliver the Message which restores the glory of your presence. May curses be reversed and songs of praise and prayers of trust be offered from this family."

The human voice is also the Lord’s creation, uniquely designed for His joy. With my voice I may call out and delight the One who made it, "God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer." (Psalm 66:19) Since He neither slumbers nor sleeps, my voice cannot awaken Him, but I know He listens with pleasure. He made the human voice so that creation could converse with the Creator!

And our voices were created to present intelligible offerings of praise, awe-filled expressions of wonder and thanksgiving. John, the political prisoner on the Isle of Patmos heard the chorus, "I heard what sounded like the roar of a great multitude in heaven shouting: "Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God . . . Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting: "Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns."
(Psalm 19:1,6) I believe one of the wonders of heaven will be the chorus, the God-made, God-redeemed choir of voices . . . no amplifiers, organs, keyboards, nothing man-made . . . just His creation fulfilling His design and desire!


This is "Wesley Week" for me. Charles Wesley penned the warm-up music of heaven. He arranged for us to begin peeking into the place John described in detail . . . gates of precious metals and gems, sunless light, endless glory, incomparable sound . . . and we sing! I share only the first six of 19 verses. When we have more time, we will sing them all!
O for a thousand tongues to sing
My great Redeemer’s praise,
The glories of my God and King,
The triumphs of His grace!


My gracious Master and my God,
Assist me to proclaim,
To spread through all the earth abroad, the honors of Thy name.


Jesus! the name that charms our fears,
That bids our sorrows cease;
’Tis music in the sinner’s ears,
’Tis life, and health, and peace.


He breaks the power of canceled sin,
He sets the prisoner free;
His blood can make the foulest clean,
His blood availed for me.


He speaks, and, listening to His voice,
New life the dead receive,
The mournful, broken hearts rejoice,
The humble poor believe.


Hear Him, ye deaf; His praise, ye dumb,
Your loosened tongues employ;
Ye blind, behold your Savior come,
And leap, ye lame, for joy.


Some act as if waking up is for the birds! Ah, the birds think they are for waking me up! I’d love you to enjoy the same wake-up call as I! Is it too far-fetched to think that the birds are off in a remote place rehearsing with a Wesleyan hymn, warming up for the morning concert? Waking up with the birds is so much fun, builds so much faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment