Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day 2013

Veteran’s Day, a too often overlooked date on the American’s calendar was intended to honor those who have served our nation’s military. I confess to having ignored the day’s significance. But this year is different. Three men I love and respect deeply are veterans. Two served in World War Two, another is my peer who served in peacetime.

My father in-law, Roy Kolas, has influenced me more than any other man with the exception of my own father. Roy served as a machinist in the "Great War" and traveled across Europe repairing equipment while his first-born daughter, my wife Pat, was an infant. He told us that when he received word that Pat was born while he was training in the deep South, the only quiet place he could find to be alone with God was in the company latrine. Roy went into the latrine and dedicated Pat to Jesus there. He also refused to allow the Army to deduct insurance premiums from his pay because he had the Lord’s assurance that he would return from war alive. Now, that is faith in action! Roy is completing his 92nd revolution around the sun and has been diagnosed with cancer. It is time to have him stand and for us all to salute him. He has been a faithful member of one church his entire life, has been a deacon and elder most of those years, and at one time attended Sunday School without missing a single Sunday for more than 25 years!

The second man from whom I have learned much and deeply admire is Ralph Crites. Ralph and Louise began offering their services to our church-planting efforts in 1991. Since then I estimate that they have given more than four years of their lives in behind-the-scenes work advancing the Kingdom of God. Their accomplishments are too numerous to list, but I mention the "big ones!" Ralph, a pipe fitter by trade with more than 40 years experience with General Motors, has installed four heating-air conditioning systems in three churches and a six-family apartment building. He installed new plumbing in at least 16 new restrooms, a shower room, three commercial kitchens, and two residential kitchens. (In between these projects, Ralph handily offered his experience in other trades. I will never forget the day when I tried to thank him for being an example to me on how to grow older gracefully and unselfishly. Ralph shrugged and said, "I am only doing what I thought everyone ought to do." Tears come to my eyes every time I think our conversation!

The third veteran is slightly younger than I. While I was studying in college, Abe Oliver was in the US Army stationed in England. He and his young bride made the most of their military years by participating in a Pentecostal church. He has told me many stories of the lessons learned under the tutelage of an older minister. Upon discharge, Abe attended Bible college and began his vocation as a pastor. In one life season he served as chaplain in a large Philadelphia company that hired hundreds of immigrants. Abe arranged for pastoral leadership and helped start several Pentecostal churches among the ethnic groups in the company.

And then while in their mid-fifties the Olivers began the crowning work. Starting with their two daughters and son-in-law they began building a ministry with Sunday morning prayer meetings and outreaches on the sidewalks of North Kensington, Philadelphia’s "Badlands." That work has grown into Lighthouse Family Community Church on North Front Street. I preached there yesterday because Abe has been diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus and was too weak to attend service. Lighthouse is alive, energetic and thoroughly Pentecostal. Every seat was full. The pre-service prayer time was powerful. The church orchestrates health-care ministries for the neighborhood, has a vibrant youth outreach, and has helped their youth with college tuition. If I had more space, I’d write about the Oliver children and grandchildren!

I ask you to join me in honoring the veterans I mentioned, and those close to you. Please include them in your prayers. Two, Pastor Abe Oliver, and my father-in-law, Roy Kolas, are battling cancer. Ralph Crites has had both knees replaced and still lives with pain. I offer that we ought to include the families of veterans when we pray as well. Our lives are better because of the way others have lived!

No comments:

Post a Comment