Friday, November 22, 2013

Worship and Hymn Books

Many years ago a friend mentioned that his spiritual disciplines included memorizing and singing hymns. Daily he read scripture, sang hymns and prayed. In luncheon conversation Dave would quote verses from hymns, lyrical truth imbedded in his mind and spirit by conscious memory and living, dynamic work of the Holy Spirit.

Recently I received a copy of an article written by Jack Hayford, an esteemed pastor/leader within the Church of the Foursquare Gospel.1 The item reinforces my friend’s discipline in a context of corporate worship and teaching. Dr. Hayford’s appeal to worship leaders is that hymns, modern and ancient, be employed to instruct and bring unity to essential Gospel truths.

Hymn books fill several inches on my book shelves. After reading the Hayford article I reached for, Melodies of Praise, the book from which we sang at my boyhood church. The page one hymn is "All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name." As I opened the book the tune and truth leaped from deep within my spirit. Something intensely important in my spiritual development leaped forward affecting both intellect and emotion. Memories were awakened from slumber and I heard Mom and Dad singing. Neither had particularly good voices, but they knew Jesus and their affirmations of faith in "All Hail the Power," and the Gospel truth set to music was riveted to my spirit week after week, month after month and year after year. The fasteners of the Spirit have made the truth of Jesus’ Name an immovable anchor in my soul!

As I opened the book this morning I heard the unique sound of the Revivaltime Choir under the direction of Cyril McClellan. As a college student I occasionally attended a broadcast origination of Revivaltime and the trademark sound of every program pierced the din of airways on 100's of stations weekly. I can hear it now as I type!
All hail the power of Jesus’ Name! Let angels prostrate fall;
Bring forth the royal diadem, and crown Him Lord of all.
Bring forth the royal diadem, and crown Him Lord of all.

The author of the lyrics which first appeared in print in 1779, Edward Perronet, had no idea that his Spirit-inspired work would live on in millions of people’s hearts for more than two centuries.

I know my children know both the lyric and its truth. And, I am thrilled that contemporary musical arrangements continue to emerge as skillful artists apply their God-given talent to help another generation worship in quiet places and in mass meetings of saints. While some decry the influence of social media, we might celebrate its power as a tool which many use to keep ancient truth alive! (Check out YouTube!)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment