Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Don't love the world!

Periodically a passage of Scripture interrupts my casual thoughts. The Scriptures appear abruptly, without announcement, and command my attention. This morning it happened again. The verse is from John’s first epistle, and flows from deep within my memory vault, “Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” (2:15) The church that formed me emphasized that we are “in” the world, but not “of” the world.

There is a risk that I might become a sort of religious Andy Rooney curmudgeon, (O, how I would love to write as well as he!) but I must ask, “Is the separation between world and church becoming blurred? Are our efforts to make our message relevant blunting the edge of personal accountability before the Judge of the whole world?”

Two or three areas of personal behavior and choice come to mind.

• I recently read that Evangelical Christians are quite at home with consuming alcohol and that some former tee-totaling groups are growing “soft” on their stance about the dangers of alcohol. As a pastor I spent a lot of time helping individuals and their families who were terrorized by alcohol. Missed work assignments, stresses to family budgets, disruptions to God-designed relationships were all too common. A measureable expression of God’s grace is found wherever the hard yoke of alcohol is broken.
• When the American entertainment industry was not yet very bold in depicting evil behavior, attendance at “worldly amusements” was a sign of spiritual compromise, but now representations of the world’s values are beamed into living rooms and episodes are even cited from pulpits. We have come a long way from “The Honeymooners” and “Father Knows Best!”
• Personal money management, promptly paying ones creditors, living frugally and giving generously indicated one was Jesus’ follower. The nation’s economy in the mid 50's tanked and I remember generous sharing of resources as Christians helped one another and neighbors. In an era of economic downturn we may be wise to revisit the values and expressions of too easily forgotten convictions.
Faith and behavior must be inseparable. Or, as a mentor of mine was fond of repeating, “If what I confess I believe is different than the way I behave, the best prayer I can pray is, ‘On Lord, help me to keep my mouth shut.’”

Is it possible that the world needs an expression of “authentic” as well as “relevant?” As I consider the Holy Spirit’s interruption of my thoughts, I must consider how process the mandate, “Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” It will take more than a casual resolve to do better. The same Spirit that brings the alert must empower me to apply the truth He delivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment