Thursday, November 10, 2011

No compromise

The ability to negotiate and compromise is a necessary life skill. Rigid, stubborn, inflexible people who see situations only one way are like a burr under ones saddle. However, there is also a need for uncompromising commitment to obey and honor authority. Obedience and honor can often be difficult when a leader is less than honorable and is proven untrustworthy.

I have experienced the stress of being caught between two conflicting values. By culture and Scripture I have embraced the rightness of honoring those in authority, but have found myself uncertain what to do when the person in leadership was dishonorable, untruthful, or embraced a spurious strategy or policy.

When Joshua died Israel was left with no visible God-appointed leader. The nation was poised on the Promised Land side of the Jordan River and Lord communicated directly with tribal leaders. Judah obeyed and conquered the Canaanites and Perizzites. King Adoni-Bezek was captured and disabled when his thumbs and great toes were severed. Their victory was expanded when they joined forces with the Simeonites and routed the residents of Gaza, Ashkelon and Ekron.

But a different and deadly compromise was struck beginning with Benjamin and continued through to Manasseh, Zebulun, Asher, and Naphtali. The reports are repetitious and disappointing. Instead of eradicating the enemies, the tribes compromised. The language is revealing, “they failed to dislodge,” and “did not drive out.” Manasseh was content to press the Canaanites into forced labor, but as one reads the rest of the record, the Canaanites became a constant problem. Israeli children intermarried with the Canaanites children and God’s plan was endangered.

The takeaway lessons are rather obvious and will serve Jesus’ disciples well.

• It is fair to compromise on non-absolutes, but obedience to Jesus is never to be negotiated. To be a disciple of Jesus is to say, “Yes,” always! Being Jesus’ disciple is a full-time commitment of every facet of our life. A Gospel song sung in the church so instrumental in forming me, usually sung in response to a missionary presentation, says –



It may not be on the mountain’s height, or over the stormy sea;
It may not be at the battle’s front my Lord will have need of me;
But if by a still, small voice He calls to paths I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in Yours,
I’ll go where You want me to go.
Refrain
I’ll go where You want me to go, dear Lord,
O’er mountain, or plain, or sea;
I’ll say what You want me to say, dear Lord,
I’ll be what You want me to be.
Perhaps today there are loving words which Jesus would have me speak;
There may be now, in the paths of sin, some wand’rer whom I should seek.
O Savior, if You will be my Guide, though dark and rugged the way,
My voice shall echo the message sweet,
I’ll say what You want me to say.
There’s surely somewhere a lowly place in earth’s harvest fields so wide,
Where I may labor through life’s short day for Jesus, the Crucified.
So, trusting my all unto Your care, I know You always love me!
I’ll do Your will with a heart sincere,
I’ll be what You want me to be.
Isn’t it interesting that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings the song on “YouTube” and that all her youth are expected to say, “Yes!” to two years of missionary service before pursuing a vocation?




• The Judges teach us that agreeing to a compromised obedience to Jesus sets off confusion, political and emotional corruption, economic failures, ambiguity about one’s identity.

• Reputations are determined by consistency over one’s life span. When compromises in ethic or character are revealed a whole lifetime of good works and professional success is undone.

As a teen I read the biography of William Whiting Borden. Reading Borden’s story changed my life! After Borden died, his Bible was found and given to his parents. In it they found the words "No Reserve" and a date placing the note shortly after he renounced his multi-million dollar fortune in favor of missions. Later, he had written "No Retreat", dated near the time his father told him that he would never let him work in the company again. Shortly before he died in Egypt, he added the phrase "No Regrets."

Today I am renewing my commitment to fully obey Jesus, again! And, tomorrow, I will do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment