Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday

Pat and I are preparing to attend Good Friday services in nearby Rehoboth Beach. The pastor of the church posted the following on the church website. The verse is inscribed on a burial marker dating back more than three hundred years. The person interred had only lived twenty-five-years when she died.

“My flesh shall slumber in this Clay
Till the last Trumpets joyful Day
Then burst these bands with sweet surprise
And in my SAVIORS Image rise”

Three hundred years is a long, long time to await the full realization of faith. Others have been waiting even longer. But it is worth the wait!

This afternoon, I hope the congregation will sing the Isaac Watts hymn, “When I survey the wondrous cross.” The lyrics have helped anchor the faith of Jesus’ disciples as they have been sung since 1707, three hundred five years.

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

Pat and I are attending services because we need to continuously anchor our souls to the cross. The faith that saves us will be reinforced as we remember that moment when Jesus gave His life for ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment