Friday, June 29, 2012

Delicious Words

The power of words rightly employed and creatively arranged are as delicious as warm homemade apple pie ala mode! My favorite authors use ordinary words in creative formations to generate new enthusiasm for old themes. They are akin to the lone tuba player who runs to dot the "I" when the Ohio State University marching band forms the "Ohio" script formation. The whole crowd of Ohio State loyalists cheers wildly as the tuba and player bow.

My friend Bob has a way with words. He and Judy visited us for a few hours this week during their first East Coast tour. It is a huge understatement to say Bob isn’t processing life as most people. He wrote yesterday, "One of my biggest surprises was how few Orientals (Asians, Japanese, Vietnamese, Koreans, Cambodians) we have seen out here after hearing people talk about people of "the far east" for years! Sure, we’ve seen them, but, by far the ACCIDENTALS - people like Judy and me - far outnumber the ORIENTALS." Oh, if only I had my friend’s wit.

In my morning meditation I read the last half of Revelation. There, in the final pages of the Holy Scriptures, I found the most profound and powerful prose ever written. The anthems brought tears to my eyes. The Spirit washed my soul with truth. The assurance of God’s eternal intentions and power to accomplish them all is, on one hand a sweet aroma and on the other, an iron sledge wielding warrior standing, poised, daring all to interrupt Eternity’s design. I may read it again later today, for the sheer delicious delight of it, like a second helping of dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment