Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Famiy Pride

Tucked into the back pages of the Bible is a short letter to the church from Jude. I have been musing on Jude’s introduction, "Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and a brother of James." Some may be suspicious that Jude was trying to ride his brother’s coattails, like those running for office depending on voters casting a straight party line when balloting. But, I think Jude was simply proud of being James’ brother!

I have two siblings, Gloria (the elder) and Dennis (the younger). I am very proud to be their brother because they represent what is admirable in every saint. Each is a person of unshaken faith, years of consistent witness with deeds and words, and in service to people and to the Lord. To illustrate, my pastor brother volunteers to cut men’s hair in a nursing home adjacent to the church building, has cared for many shut-in for several years, which includes taking his friend a pizza most Saturday afternoons. And, Dennis is a good preacher too.

Gloria and her husband Fred have been officially retired from their formal ministries on church ministry teams. But, they press on visiting hospitalized neighbors from their retirement community. Both sing in a choir which tours nursing homes during special seasons. And, Gloria is the masterful hostess whose mission is to make every guest feel they belong at her food-laden table.

Few folk know that both my siblings were generous in supporting their brother while in college. I loved going to my campus post office box and opened their letters with cash that served to sweeten the words of encouragement. Boxes of goodies that came with a Detroit, MI return address became the envy of all who learned about them!

A few weeks ago a teen neighbor came to our home to apologize for her father’s behavior. No child ought to be so humiliated. To be proud of family is a grace, an undeserved gift from God.

My standard tease is, "I have never been anyone!" For years I was Otto and Annie Wegner’s son, then Pat Kolas’ husband. Now I am Candace, Jon, and Joanna’s father and Papa to eight offspring. But, if I were to greet a church where my siblings were known, I would be proud, like Jude, to say, "I am a brother of Gloria and Dennis, or father of Candace, Jon and Joanna!"

No comments:

Post a Comment