Friday, June 8, 2012

"I'll pray about it!"

On occasion I dream of writing a few lines as good as Eugene Peterson, one of my favorite authors. In the introduction to his translation of the Book of Colossians in The Message, Peterson writes, "Hardly anyone who hears the full story of Jesus and learns the true facts of his life and teaching, crucifixion and resurrection, walks away with a shrug of the shoulders, dismissing him as unimportant. People ignorant of the story or misinformed about it, of course, regularly dismiss him. But with few exceptions, the others know instinctively that they are dealing with a most remarkable greatness." Indifference becomes implausible.

Not long ago Pat began laughing far more heartily than usual. I asked, "What’s so funny?" In response, she said, "I just told someone I would pray about it! I cannot remember ever doing that before when asked if I would help." For years Pat enlisted others, and organized people and tasks. The spiritually acceptable response for noncommital was, "I’ll pray about it." Without diminishing prayer, some never got an answer from God and others did more of the work. "I’ll pray about it," can be another way to say, "My plans take precedence."

In a recent reading of Colossians, I noticed –
  • In the context of soaring Christology, the Apostle Paul described his unending prayer for spiritual wisdom with, "That you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work." (1:10) Those who grasp lofty theological concepts ought to express their understanding in "every good work.
  • Paul labored, struggled, applied spiritual energy for the good of others. "I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me." (1:29) Paul’s, "I’ll pray about it," resulted in practical, Spirit empowered expressions. In writing his, "Goodbye," Paul salutes Epaphras as one who "wrestles in prayer," and adds, "I vouch for him that he is working hard for you." (4:12-13)
  • Encouragement to diligence, to industrious effort reached beyond our usual concept of church life for Paul. He instructed us all about marketplace effort, "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." (3:23-24) How a person serves his employer becomes a nonverbal witness to his understanding of the grace of God and commitment to following Jesus.
Our way of expressing vocation has had to change. We are still discovering new avenues to make a difference in the lives of others. This week I met with a pastor who is weary from overwork. His wife is also. In short, too many people "praying about it!" Pat and I cannot be indifferent, and it really isn’t a laughing matter. Prayer must result in diligence, and hearty good works that benefit others.

No comments:

Post a Comment