Thursday, February 6, 2014

Learning from antiquity

Church history wasn’t a strength when I was a student. I was probably too young to understand that what happened before, and my knowledge and attitude toward past events and people of antiquity, had the potential of influencing the future. Too often I behaved as if those church fathers tucked away in small Asian towns ought to be left there. In my youth I knew that there were people to influence, churches to build , and a world to save. What could musty parchments contribute to my mission? As I have aged, I have gained a far different perspective on life in and outside of the church.

The change in perspective may have influenced my recent reading list. Almost everything I have read this year was written more than 50 years ago. The authors influencing me now appear prophetic because the issues they addressed are now our daily experience. Their alertness, warnings, and concerns were largely ignored and we are now scrambling for quick fixes to systemic failures.

Polycarpa, Bishop of Smyrna, is a historical figure to which I ought to have given more attention. The bishop is an important link between the Apostles and me. Polycarp was a disciple of John and often spoke to his congregation with affection of how John had influenced his life. As Bishop of Smyrna, Polycarp must have taken notice of the special attention Jesus gave to the church he led.
"To the angel of the church in Smyrna write: These are the words of him who is the First and the Last, who died and came to life again.
I know your afflictions and your poverty--yet you are rich! I know the slander of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.
Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.
– Revelation 2:8-10

In Polycarp’s old age Roman Emperors ran with a wild frenzy every time their leadership was threatened. Because of the emperor’s insanity Polycarp was forced to offer a public sacrifice and declare the emperor as god. While in hiding from the emperor’s police, Polycarp dreamed that his pillow was on fire. When he awaken, he told those with him, "Let us go, I will be burned alive."

Because of his genteel spirit and widely known kindness the arresting soldiers begged Polycarp to offer a pinch of incense on the public altar. He could spare his own life! The aged bishop’s response is a lesson for us all to learn well.
"Lord God Almighty, Father of your blessed and beloved child Jesus Christ, through whom we have received knowledge of you, God of angels and hosts and all creation, and of the whole race of the upright who live in your presence: I bless you that you have thought me worthy of this day and hour, to be numbered among the martyrs and share in the cup of Christ, for resurrection to eternal life, for soul and body in the incorruptibility of the Holy Spirit. Among them may I be accepted before you today, as a rich and acceptable sacrifice, just as you, the faithful and true God, have prepared and foreshown and brought about. For this reason and for all things I praise you, I bless you, I glorify you, through the eternal heavenly high priest Jesus Christ, your beloved child, through whom be glory to you, with him and the Holy Spirit, now and for the ages to come. Amen."
A legend developed around Polycarp’s martyrdom. It is alleged that his body would not catch fire and a soldier was ordered to stab him to death.

How far has our culture wandered from examples like Polycarp? Or John who spent his last days in a death camp called Patmos? Or Jesus whose passion we all remember at the communion table?

Because of Polycarp’s special connection with the Apostle John, I am reading John’s writings again with a special interest in what must have shaped the spirit and behavior of an early bishop. In a combative culture demanding repeals of legislation and vicious threats against anyone or anything which may imperil our wellbeing, especially financial, I want to hear the voices of the Spirit and antiquity and learn to thoroughly apply eternal axioms like, In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like him. – 1 John 4:17 The good bishop of antiquity is still teaching any who will learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment