Thursday, February 27, 2014

Why do we boast?

Reading large segments of Scripture in a single setting helps me get the big picture. This week I read First Corinthians through in several translations with as few interruptions as possible. In a single-session reading of the letter to a proud congregation the Apostle Paul drew strong contrasts between knowledge and practice, lofty spiritual insights and polarizing attitudes. First Corinthians will stand one on his religious head if it is taken seriously!

The Apostle noted how the church "lacked no spiritual gift" (1:5) while tolerating divisive attitudes and practices in the church family (1:10-17 and 11:17-22). He challenged Corinthian boasting of human abilities and self-applauding wisdom and countered human ability with "faith that does not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power." (2:1-5)

As the Holy Spirit washed the Word over my mind and spirit I was reminded of a sage mentor who invested deeply in me while I was a youthful pastor serving my novitiate. My mentor enjoyed emptying the church’s mailbox and sorting invoices, personal letters, product promotions and publications. It was in the era when we received reams of materials from Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, and North Carolina. As the sorting task ended, my friend and mentor often would say, "We wouldn’t know much about these people if they didn’t send us so much stuff about themselves!" He sounded Pauline!

In one of my readings of First Corinthians I was arrested in chapter 4, verses 6 and 7, "Now, brothers, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, "Do not go beyond what is written. Then you will not take pride in one man over against another. Who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?" Shouldn’t we be startled once in a while when we remember that we were dead in our sins (Colossians 2:13) when Jesus came to raise us to everlasting life? How wise can I be if I was dead at the point of entry into the family of God?

The Holy Spirit arrested me in chapter 6 as well. "You are not your own; you were bought at a price" (6:19-20). Oops! Am I in any position to insist on my way, ask for privilege or edge toward the head of the line? I don’t think those who remember their condition when Jesus first met them assume they deserve special favor or ever are comfortable promoting a list of their achievements. But, I must quit. Verbosity is an indication of the very thing the Apostle is challenging!

While mediating on First Corinthians I remembered a song from my youth. The church that was so instrumental in forming me sang it often enough that it is now a part of my private repertoire. If you know it, sing along!

There’s a sweet and blessed story.
Of the Christ who came from glory,
Just to rescue me from sin and misery;
He in loving-kindness sought me,

And from sin and shame hath brought me,
Hallelujah! Jesus ransomed me.


Refrain:
Hallelujah! what a Savior,
Who can take a poor, lost sinner,
Lift him from the miry clay and set me free!
I will ever tell the story,
Shouting glory, glory, glory,
Hallelujah! Jesus ransomed me.


From the depth of sin and sadness
To the heights of joy and gladness
Jesus lifted me, in mercy full and free;
With His precious blood He bought me,
When I knew Him not, He sought me,
And in love divine He ransomed me.


From the throne of heav’nly glory—
Oh, the sweet and blessed story!—
Jesus came to lift the lost in sin and woe
Into liberty all-glorious,
Trophies of His grace victorious,
Evermore rejoicing here below.


By and by, with joy increasing,
And with gratitude unceasing,
Lifted up with Christ forevermore to be,
I will join the hosts there singing,
In the anthem ever ringing,
To the King of Love who ransomed me.


The Apostolic letter and the humble song of a bygone era remind me of James’ observation, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows" (James 1:17). In other words, "If it is noteworthy or good, it didn’t start with us!"

No comments:

Post a Comment