Monday, January 5, 2015

New Year Rhythms in Psalms and Proverbs

The rhythm of my life includes reading the Psalms and Proverbs each January. As I read five Psalms and one chapter of Solomon’s counsel daily my soul is refreshed, my confidence is rebuilt and my expectations are reset. Oh, I read the ancient Psalter and heaven’s encyclopedia of wisdom throughout the year, but they deserve special attention as I take another lap in life. I read them, meditate on the Psalms because they do not avoid the common disappointments, defeats or discouragements of life. Reverses and regrets run alongside of the high praises of God’s conquests. Like railroad tracks that never intersect, human maladies and Divine majesty run parallel.

The human condition of arrogant boasting, wickedness, murder and mayhem share pages with Eternal answers, last word assurances and help! The "How long?" question is met with "I will sing to the Lord for He is good to me!" (Psalm 13) A song that begins with, "A fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God!’" concludes with "Let Jacob rejoice and Israel be glad!" (Psalm 14) Israel’s hymn book serves as a syllabus for keeping life in balance. The challenges of past years are behind us, but still unknown head-scratching and worry-inducing issues of the new year remind me that the God of the ancient hymn book is alive and well.

I need refresher courses in practical theology. To wax eloquent in theaters of theory is a small accomplishment. I find that living the truth of God in the marketplace is more demanding, more rewarding and the God-intended result of obeying His counsel. Solomon’s advice to gain wisdom and run away from usual temptations is an always-needed new year’s study. The foolish misuse of life is constant. I need to learn repeatedly that ways of the wicked will perish and that the faithful will thrive.

I will let others clamor about the prickly points of political unfairness and stammer about the conditions of culture and church. Obedience to God’s intentions requires all my strength. Solomon’s rhythmic one-liners refresh my resolve. In the heat of yet-to-be-experienced battles, I need to be reminded to, "Let love and faithfulness never leave you." It pays to hold on to the eternal truth in times of transient trouble because He still "Makes ones paths straight." (Proverbs 3)

While reading Psalms and Proverbs the images of bedouin tents and ancient palaces run around in my thoughts, but those images are often overtaken with the familiar street scenes of my experience. The eternal truth and wisdom of Psalms and Proverbs serve an annual refresher course for ordinary life.

No comments:

Post a Comment