Thursday, January 15, 2015

Thank you Pastor Bonhoeffer

Don Meyer, President of the University at Valley Forge, attributed this statement to Dietrich Bonhoeffer, "It is the task of youth not to reshape the church, but rather to listen to the Word of God." The arresting statement by a leading German Christian who dared to challenge the evils of Adolph Hitler’s Nazi regime provoked me to ask several impossible-to-answer questions. Before moving forward, let me share that my life has been enriched by the writings and thought of Dietrich Bonhoeffer.

One of the first questions is, "Who is young?" As I grow older, my definition of "young" is changing. Fewer and fewer are older, more and more are young. "Youth" has strength and typically dares to venture beyond norms established by elders. If "youth" merely "listens to the Word of God," who will negotiate the changes which come to church? Given old men’s inclination to maintain the status quo, I ask, "Who will be entrusted to negotiate change?" At 80, Moses was young enough to lead a mass exodus of Israelis. But, Daniel, was surely much younger when he led a quiet civil rebellion within his captor’s palace. How old was Joshua when Moses died? Was Joseph an old man?

Another challenge, "When will I be old enough?" My grandfather lived with us most of my growing up years. He passed away in his ninetieth year and I never heard him speak about being old. I am living in my eighth decade and if I didn’t have an occasional ache or pain, think I am still young.

How does one know when he is old enough, or properly equipped, for his service to be accepted if he says, "Here I am. Send me!" Samuel was still a boy, at least in comparison to Moses and antiques like me, and was pressed into service. Wasn’t Jesus an adolescent when he was missed by His parents who found Him meeting with temple dignitaries? Other questions are hiding in the cracks and crevices within me. I must be content with mischievously probing just long enough to define a few challenging suggestions for thought, discussion, and action.

The first suggestion is that those entrusted with teaching and preaching the Word of God do their work diligently and excellently. The Word of God is the fountainhead for faith and action and must be presented well. Bad teaching and haphazard preaching are always unacceptable. Those charged with communicating God’s Word are under orders originating in the heart of God. To open the Bible, read it well, and unfold its truths is the necessary foundation for the youth that are listening. Preacher, preach with passion and power! Teacher, teach truth and tenacity of conviction! I can still hear the sobering, thunder-like charge read to me and others being ordained in 1968, "In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage — with great patience and careful instruction. For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine." (2 Timothy 2:1-3)

The examples of the young men cited above -- Daniel, Joseph and Samuel – were well grounded before being pressed into service. I am reminded of a conference instructor saying, "Before you get it out, make sure you got it right." Joseph wasn’t stretching his arm up and offering, "Here! I know! Me. Me!" like a fourth grader who knows the answer to the teacher’s question. I cannot imagine Daniel huddling with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego and saying, "This is the moment we have been waiting for! This is ‘our opportunity’." Samuel was clearly deferential and respectful toward Eli. Emerging youth will affect change, it is inevitable. But, youth can fulfill their assignment without being disrespectful or running rough shod over those who have carried the truth forward in their generation.

Finally, the older must be gracious and acknowledge that there is always room for improvement and that each generation ought to discover the most effective way to communicate eternal truth. Pat and I enjoy music and memories of the past, but they are passe! We have thrived learning new music that proclaims old truth. (Don’t tell anyone! When no one is watching, we still sneak away and read the pages of old hymn books.) We fear some of the media displays are speeding us toward cataract surgery, but we refuse to grumble and grouse about youth, because we are not sure we are old yet! Pastor Bonhoeffer, thank you for prompting us to think!

No comments:

Post a Comment