Thursday, June 9, 2011

Authentic Humility

Psychologist Abraham Maslow wrote, “If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem tends to look like a nail.” Life’s problems are too complex for short, simple answers formulated in shallow thinking. I shake my head when I hear sincere but simplistic answers that come from formula-generated data bases laced with Bible verses. With staccato quickness of a machine gun well-meaning Christians give answers to questions wise men have pondered for lifetimes. Difficult questions like, “Why do good people suffer and bad men have lives of ease?” don’t have one line answers.

Answers offered –

1. Are often shallow and without empathy for the one asking. My brother conducted a funeral for a 21 year-old man this week. His wife and newborn son sat before my brother asking questions too deep for glib answers.
2. Are arrogant, starving for authentic humility. Rabbis teach their young charges, “Pray to God that he teaches your tongue to say, ‘I don’t know!’”
3. Often alienate would-be believers. I find it intimidating to approach someone who has an answer for everything, don’t you? Jesus’ disciples had to learn to be approachable. They shooed away children, Jesus embraced them. And, Jesus taught, “Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For he who is least among you all—he is the greatest.” (Luke 9:48)
We who follow Jesus need to discover and experience Jesus’ humility. Consider, Jesus did not answer every imponderable question. His replied to Peter’s question about John’s destiny, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.” (John 21:23) and, didn’t Jesus teach that the Spirit would be sent to continue the process by which disciples prepared for service? I am indebted to a college professor, William MacDonald, who answered the frequent, imponderable complexities posed by students with, Abraham’s words, “Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?” ( Genesis 18:25)

Is it possible that since we can speedily access so much information that we wrongly conclude that we can, and must, provide an answer for everything? Should we consider that our un-churched friends do not need answers as much as a friend as approachable as Jesus and present when daunting challenges are the most intense? Instead of hammering away with inadequate answers, let us patiently offer, “I don’t know,” or, “Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?”

No comments:

Post a Comment