Thursday, June 23, 2011

God attends small town summer concerts

A plaster of Paris plaque hung for years over the headboard of my grandfather’s bed. It read, “Ve get too soon oldt, and too late schmart.” I left for college and cannot remember seeing the plaque since, but its truth continues to haunt me.

Last evening Pat and I attended a concert presented by the United States Navy Band Sea Chanters Chorus. The venue was a gorgeous park in the center of the small town that shares its zip code with us. Young families spread blankets on the ground and others sat on an array of folding chairs, around a gazebo Norman Rockwell should have painted. Nineteen young men and women in Navy whites trooped to center stage and presented the national anthem. The evening’s emcee then announced the chorus would sing a Negro Spiritual, “My Soul’s Been Anchored in the Lord.” After a few measures, the spiritual came alive and I realized, God attends summer concerts in small town parks! It’s true, “Ve get too soon oldt, and too late schmart,” I should have known that. The Holy Spirit washed my soul. If you don’t know the tune, click on the link and listen! http://www.lyrics.com/my-souls-been-anchored-in-de-lord-lyrics-moses-hogan.html

Our government has gone to great lengths to separate state from church, has done its best to contain the Sovereign of the Universe in Sunday morning capsules. Many are content for God to know His place, remaining in time and space venues, confined in places filled with brass plaques, stained glass and polished furniture. But God attends summer concerts, smiles on unsuspecting folks, and says, “Hi! I came to enjoy the evening with you!”

In that moment, when “My soul’s been anchored in the Lord,” came alive in me, I knew I was sharing a grassy lawn and summer breeze with the One who made both. I recalled one of Israel’s favorite hymns.
Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,”
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well. – Psalm 139:7-14
The chorus of world-class voices went on to sing patriotic tunes, “Golden Oldies,” (complete with an Andrews Sisters and Frankie Vallee impersonations), and Broadway favorites. The evening was as delicious as the ice cream cone that followed! And then, at about the time a Lady Gaga tune had captured young people’s ears, I heard deep in my spirit, “Psst, I’m still here!” The chorus sang, “Eternal Father, Strong to Save.”1


Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!

O Christ! Whose voice the waters heard
And hushed their raging at Thy word,
Who walked'st on the foaming deep,
And calm amidst its rage didst sleep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!

Most Holy Spirit! Who didst brood
Upon the chaos dark and rude,
And bid its angry tumult cease,
And give, for wild confusion, peace;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!

O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were all entreated, by ambassadors, “musicians first class,” of the United States Government! Some well-intentioned folk fret about the state of the Union. But, we know the God who attends summer concerts and gets people praying! Think about it! I believe the prayers were heard too. As long as God arranges His schedule to attend small town summers concerts and establishes His agenda, and delivers His message, why should we worry?

Stay anchored today, my friends. Pray along with others remembering, God attends summer concerts in small town parks.

No comments:

Post a Comment