Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Reading!

Over 60 years ago I entered elementary school in Detroit. Teachers immediately began to reinforce my parent’s initial efforts to help me read. The school had a small, age-appropriate library which fascinated me. I can still remember the room’s distinct odor. Mrs. Wilson, our librarian, was an enthusiastic ambassador for literacy, lighting fires of curiosity and introducing her students to biography, history, art and ...

As I began reading a book on missionary strategies yesterday I was reminded of how privileged I am. Reading allows one to connect with all those who lived and wrote over the centuries. A book will share secrets from generations past, insights into the future, and allows a longer, more finely honed perspective. Reading can help us understand ourselves and our times in the larger context of history.

For me, the ability to read is more valuable than anything I have ever purchased. For over 60 years I have been able to open a Bible and experience the Holy Spirit’s prompting and purposes as Eternal Word enters time. The process began with halting syllable-by-syllable efforts on a living room sofa next to Mom or Dad who coached me with, “Sound it out,” and, “Try again.” My life is rich because of the printed page and the miracle of connecting little ink spots on paper into living ideas, lasting truths, and loving assurances.

Yesterday, a friend gave me a volume on gardening. I stayed up too late last night learning what others have known from life experience and studies in horticulture. A city slicker, like me, had no idea how to do what the book teaches. Next year’s garden is already forming mentally.

Yes, I am aware of Solomon’s counsel, “Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.” (Ecclesiastes 12:12) Check the context of the statement before chilling out in from of the TV though. The Apostle Paul valued his books, “When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, and my scrolls, especially the parchments.” (2 Timothy 4:13)

Well, the library called yesterday. A volume is on hold, another treasure to explore. Several thousand other volumes are awaiting to check out too. If one can read, he is blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment