Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Genius of God

Stephen F. Olford (1918-2004) was a 20th century New York City pastor and prince of preachers. While Billy Graham called him "the man who most influenced my ministry," I remember Dr. Olford as an accomplished architect of alliteration. His expository sermons were always outlined around alliterated words sharing similar sounds. In my experience, no one did it more boldly or better. I loved to listen to Olford preach! With a tip of the hat to Dr. Olford’s impeccable skill at initializing ideas and idioms, I share my morning’s musing on the greatness of God. My meditations took me to God’s grandeur, goodness, glory, grace and genius. I may have been carried away into additional attributes of awesome alliteration, but I chose to remain reasonably restrained and mention only a few facets we favor.

Earlier this week we saw a program on the “Wealth Channel,” a first, at our daughter’s home. Multimillion dollar houses on Miami’s South Beach are gorgeous, but flawed in every way when contrasted with the grandeur of heaven, a place where gold is used for street paving! Mere men are paid millions for athletic performances. Occasionally the performances are impressive, but have you noticed a rainbow? Cloud formations? A maple leaf? Or, smelled a lilac? Grandeur surrounds us. The magnificence of all God’s revelation is incomparable and everywhere!

Our common measure of “good” is usually a study of comparative values. God is Good through and through. He has no veneer or veins where he is merely 99.9% good. His goodness is the fountainhead from which counsel, compassion, and concern flow unimpeded and uninterrupted. He is good when His counsel is agreeable and when His wisdom is inscrutable. Good doesn’t come and go with Him, like a major leaguer at bat or a tight end running a route! He never misses! Is never compromised!

Glory is elusive to lexicographers. Much has been written, little satisfies. Glory is too difficult for me, but I know glory when I allow glory to pierce the smog of my existence. Glory exposes ethical compromise, shabby imitations of anything. I am reminded of an oft-repeated line by my boyhood pastor, “Glory is better felt than telt!” Though intangible, glory is powerful, able to transformation. In the deepest doldrums, glory displaces despair with healthy hope. Glory is the antidote for ordinary, boredom, and human!

St. Paul speaks of the grace of God which was poured out on him abundantly. He writes as a former Jewish hit man, the worst of sinners, who went about breathing out murderous threats. His counsel gushes with grace, offers assurance to all who will call on the Lord.

The “G” that arrested me was the “genius” of God. Men’s best minds have merely uncovered what God has woven into complex equations and never-to-be-known secrets of creation. He knows the end from the beginning. Consider, God has never learned anything! His genius is absolute, with neither preference to an area of knowledge or academic discipline in a special field of study. He simply knows! Theologians speak of omniscience, an expensive word for “God knows!” Friends, He knows our names, the number of hair on out head (when the part is crooked or getting too wide), and even what we need before we ask! Let’s enjoy Him today!

No comments:

Post a Comment