Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"Mr. Self"

Reverend Parvin Lee was a most effective mentor. He was best at reducing huge, essential ideas into short, colorful, memorable word pictures. Brother Lee shared a cornerstone truth for all Jesus’ disciples relating to self-control. He painted several images using simple words which remain more than 30 years after I first heard them. My friend often repeated, “The biggest struggle is not with others, but with the fellow who lives between my elbows.” Or, “The greatest battlefields are not the Bulge or Gettysburg, or Iwo Jima, but between our ears and in our heart.” The lesson remains, learn to manage yourself!

New Year’s Day I finished reading John Newton of Olney, a difficult biography, because of quaint language and idiom, but worthy of extra effort because of a view of Christianity from an unhurried era when people moved on foot or horseback. For instance, Pastor Newton’s diary records his walking more than six miles in one day to visit members of his congregation, arising before daylight to pray and study God’s Word, and preaching as many as ten times per week. Newton is better known as the captain of a slave ship who was born again, as an Anglican pastor for over 40 years, and as the author of “Amazing Grace.” For several years Newton, along with his collaborator, William Cowper, also wrote a hymn for every Sunday evening meeting. (I can almost hear people like me asking, “Can’t we just sing songs we already know?)

More than half of the biography’s content is copies of Newton’s correspondence and diary entries. In a letter to his wife, John Newton wrote his insight into self-management, “Yesterday was a busy time ... I am sufficiently indulgent to ‘Mr. Self.’ Do not fear my pinching or overworking him. I need a spur more than a bridle.”

Another startling reference worthy of remembering is, “Mr. Self loves to speak last!” How many meetings would be shorter, how many could have been soothed rather than ruffled, how much more smoothly and effectively could the church move forward if “Mr. Self” hadn’t spoken last?

We do get rather full of ourselves, don’t we? One day Brother Lee noticed how much mail came from various ministries to our church office. As many as seven or eight magazines or newsletters often filled the mail box. All had large photos of the ministries’ leader, claims of spiritual accomplishments greater than those recorded in the Book of Acts, and the obligatory appeal for funds. My friend and mentor would shake his head and say, “We really wouldn’t know much about these people if they didn’t send us all this about themselves.” Every time I write a newsletter I am reminded of my mentor’s observation.

The fruit of the Spirit includes “self-control,” an expression of the Spirit’s abiding presence, so often overlooked. The fellow living between my elbows is a real handful. All of the Spirit’s work is needed to manage “Mr. Self.” The Apostle Paul wrote, “For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.” (Romans 12:3)

But, as another friend and mentor has recently observed, “I am getting preachy!” Have a wonderful day! Pray that I manage “Mr. Self” well today.

No comments:

Post a Comment