Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Listening to God's voice when he speaks through others

God’s Word is always instructive, challenging the status quo, interrupting lazy thinking and mindless rut-digging routines. In reading through the Pentateuch the first few days of 2012, I was reminded how frequently Aaron’s agenda was set by Moses, his brother. God spoke to Moses, Moses spoke to Aaron, Aaron did what he was told.

One notable exception to the God-Moses-Aaron chain of command was when Moses went to the mount and Aaron listened to the masses. “Moses is gone, we need something to worship,” became the demanding chant of the people. Aaron’s big mistake was listening to the majority opinion. We who live in a democracy are accustomed to polling the masses, adopting the “will of the people.” Political leaders have the “bully pulpit,” or power of influence. Great leaders in democracies are skilled in influencing attitudes, summoning courage, persuading the masses to follow voluntarily but cannot hand down irrevocable edicts.

One of the challenges for those conditioned in democratic political systems is learning how to be a loyal follower. In our nation a sense of personal autonomy is cultivated in legal documents and amplified in the mediums of our culture. In short, I can act as I please, go where I desire, preach what satisfies me, and resist all adverse restraints. The challenge to enjoy freedom while following Jesus demands that we think through the conflicting values and to properly live as Christian Americans. “Christian Americans” should not be an oxymoron.

For instance, I received an email which laughingly celebrated the ingenuity of a bowling alley that painted the image of our president above the bowling pins. The pins were in the position of the images teeth. A photo showed our nation’s leader with several missing teeth, a variety of presidential jack-o-lanterns, one over each lane. The bowling alley owner has the freedom to paint the images and spoof presidential authority, but does the person who forwarded the images to me have the freedom to do that as a Christian?

Consider a few questions rumbling about my interior space today.

• Am I willing to take orders from a mere mortal or am I willing to obey God if He speaks to me directly? With few exceptions Aaron excelled at obeying Moses and God. I need to to ask, “Why did Miriam have a severe bout with leprosy?” Why did the ground open and swallow up a whole family and all their possessions?
• The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) defends the right of the person to send disparaging images of the president. Then, why do the people who send anti-president opinions so often express disgust and wish ill on the ACLU? What should my opinion be about these things?
• What happened to people who challenged Moses’ leadership? Is it possible that as American Christians disrespecting our leaders is too easy, culturally acceptable, and with too few immediate? What effect does a spirit of criticism and insubordination have on my relationship with God?
• If God were to chasten the United States for her sins, how would He do it? Is it even remotely possible that God has allowed our obviously favored nation to be taken captive culturally, ethically, morally and politically? Like the prophets, should Christians speak words of encouragement to one another to shine, without complaint, as stars in the universe until the captivity has ended. Is this our opportunity to see the Name of the Lord vindicated in our attitude and behavior? Did Daniel organize fellow political detainees to unseat their captors, or did he excel in hearing God and speaking His counsel without release from captivity?
• Do I find joy in submitting to human authority established by God? Or am I humbled because I know I am really a rebel at heart? Is loving humility in service the priority of my life, or am I earning the reputation of being angry, narrow-minded, an un-loving extremist? Did Joseph know why he was in Egypt while he was imprisoned, or did he have to wait until the Lord freed him?
• Do I pursue evildoers with loving service, without embracing evil? How is that done in a culture often violently opposed decency and common sense?
I do not have answers! But I am uncomfortable with expressing anger without embarrassment. I am concerned that I do not humble myself and pray for leaders to whom I have pledged my support. Have you noticed, complaining is so natural, humbling oneself is so un-American?

Aaron’s example can be troublesome. High priest, national spiritual authority, anointed to serve, called to serve in the Most Holy Place, and yet Aaron listened to God through Moses. Perplexing, isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment