Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Teachers

My first day at school, Kindergarten at Courville Elementary, had the potential of being a disaster. For whatever reason, I remember the event which included coming home weeping and afraid of the teacher. My mother and father calmed me down by explaining that God made all, including my teacher, and she would help me learn. The trauma of day one passed before day two and from that day onward my life has been blessed by a long line of teachers.

Mrs. Wilson was the librarian at Gabriel Richard Elementary and introduced me to the world of books. I wonder what might have happened to me if the City of Detroit had decided to save money and close the library and cut Mrs. Wilson’s position.

Miss O’Donnell coached a group of fourth graders to the art of cursive writing with a fountain pen (“Not a crude ball pen, an instrument for writing with a ‘sack’ into which replenishes the supply of ink”). Miss O’Donnell was “ancient,” probably between forty and fifty years-old, when our lives intersected, and she was determined than legible penmanship would not die while she had any influence.

In the eighth grade Mr. Edwards became the instrument of God to direct my life into a course of which I was unaware. He made two visits to our home. Mr. Edwards moonlighted selling World Book Encyclopedia and came the first time to our home to introduce us to his product. Too late, we already had a well-worn set. My teacher nodded with appreciation when he saw the books displayed and said, “I would have suspected you would have them.”

On his second visit, Mr. Edwards introduced my parents and me to Cass Technical High School and recommended that I apply for entrance. I did, and was accepted. Attending Cass Tech was a life-changer! Without Mr. Edwards, my alma mater would have only been a line item in Saturday’s sports scores in The Detroit News.

In college I was blessed by teachers whose names are well known in our denomination. Scholars, authors, preachers, and spiritual leaders. Several of them have been honored by having their names attached to buildings. But one, Leland Despain, a little known English teacher, influenced my life as much as many others for two reasons. He taught the importance of writing well, interestingly, accurately, with humor and pathos. I should have learned more, but I was young and more interested in theology at the time. And, Leland Despain introduced me to Count Nicholas Ludwig Von Zinzendorf and the Moravian Church. I am forever indebted for that single huge contribution.

When Moses commissioned the artistic work of the Tabernacle, he chose Bezalel and Oholiab. “Moses said to the Israelites, “See, the LORD has chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts — to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood and to engage in all kinds of artistic craftsmanship. And he has given both him and Oholiab son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan, the ability to teach others.” (Exodus 35:30-34)

Many have great skills, too few share the secrets of their craft with others. Internships, apprenticeships, learning environments formal and informal shape the future of individuals and have the potential of ultimately setting the course of whole communities.

Thank God for teachers! We who have had good teachers are blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment