Tuesday, July 23, 2013

New songs are often great songs

Am I regaining my youth? Or am I entering my second childhood? For several years I have awakened with hymns and anthems of worship echoing in the deepest chambers of my spirit. I have shared the impact of several of the songs in previous posts.

But this morning I awakened with a song quite unlike any which have awakened me in the past. The song is just too new, too fresh. It was written for a contemporary band, not for those who remember the Eisenhower administration or the Kennedy assassinations. It has to be very new because I remember dedicating the lyricist, Jon Egan, and his identical twin. The boys’ parents had started attending Bethany Church while expecting the boys and it seems as if it were yesterday.

Seated above, enthroned in the Father's love
Destined to die, poured out for all mankind
God's only son perfect and spotless one
He never sinned but suffered as if He did

All authority, every victory is Yours
All authority, every victory is Yours

Savior, worthy of honor and glory
Worthy of all our praise, You overcame
Jesus, awesome in power forever
Awesome and great is Your name, You overcame

Power in hand
Speaking the Father's plan
You're sending us out
Light in this broken land

We will overcome
By the blood of the Lamb
And the word of our testimony
Everyone overcome.


The lyrics aren’t embedded as deeply into my spirit as a Wesleyan hymn or Fannie Crosby song of invitation, but they are making their way, inch by memorable inch. Our pastor led us in singing "Overcome" last Sunday. As I sang Sunday, I remembered Jon as an infant and as a little boy scooting between pews and running down hallways. I nudged Pat and said, "Do you remember Jon?" (His name was among the fine print in the corner of the screen.)

We moved on, and Jon is now a worship pastor and leader of Desperation Band. After a few more revolutions around the sun, I’ll move from time into eternity. Jon will too. But, I predict his music will live a lot longer than either of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment