Friday, July 19, 2013

The Power of Joy

Who said, "Confession is good for the soul?" It isn’t in the Bible. James, however, recommends confession of sins as a preparation for answered prayers and healing. "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:16).

As I edge toward a confession, I am thinking of how many times I should have had an encouraging word instead of tightly argued answers. Over the years I have discovered that people often wanted to be heard and comforted, given a measure of hope and assurance while I was giving answers and offering cures. My good friends, Bob and Judy Neuman, print an occasional publication titled, "An Encouraging Word." The page is full of material about events most of us have had and to which we can readily relate (Except for their cat stories. I have been attacked by more cats than dogs! Their outlook is upbeat! Their counsel is consistently positive and faith building.

I have heard and sung songs about the love of God ad infinitum. Certainly God is love! May I simply interject that the fruit of the Spirit is also joy? Our world spills out dour news of financial collapse and political insurrection. Whether casters simply cannot report, "It is 92 degrees outside today," but, must ratchet up the obvious, "With the humidity it feels more like 102 degrees!"

This week Pat and I heard a little girl, about five years-old, scream as if she was witnessing a capital crime. Our response mechanisms were jolted into action. We searched for the perpetrators and were about to take our umbrella and attack the no-goods hurting the little girl. We discovered that outburst was because the sand was hot on the beach! We were up close with a budding drama queen and an eyewitness to a mother whose child had inflicted enough hearing loss that Mom could ignore her offspring.

My confession? I have missed opportunities to add joy! People around me wanted hope and assurance that everything would be all right. Because joy is of the Spirit, it is part of the Spirit’s arsenal of power. Joy can extinguish the flames of doubt and wash away the stains of tears. It is sad that the world knows more about what Evangelicals are against than the source of our joy! An old church song, one usually sung at Sunday evening meetings, allowed congregations to reinforce and renew joy. Maybe you used to sing the song as well.

 

I have found His grace is all complete,
He supplieth ev'ry need;
While I sit and learn at Jesus' feet,
I am free, yes, free indeed.

Refrain

It is joy unspeakable and full of glory,
Full of glory, full of glory,
It is joy unspeakable and full of glory,
Oh, the half has never yet been told.

I have found the pleasure I once craved,
It is joy and peace within;
What a wondrous blessing! I am saved
From the awful gulf of sin.

Refrain

I have found that hope so bright and clear,
Living in the realm of grace;
Oh, the Savior's presence is so near,
I can see His smiling face.



Refrain

I have found the joy no tongue can tell,
How its waves of glory roll!
It is like a great o'erflowing well,
Springing up within my soul.

Refrain


Has anyone been confounded lately because of our joyful demeanor? Are we balancing out the sadness and pain of our world with the "joy unspeakable" that splashes out when we move about? Are we inoculating anyone with a contagious joy that is other worldly? Is anyone encouraged with our laughter? Is anyone convinced to go forward when they are hitting the wall because of a joyous, encouraging word?

I suggest we all sing the song and then go have a cup of coffee with my friends Bob and Judy!

No comments:

Post a Comment