Friday, July 26, 2013

Simple Pleasures

Occasionally one ought to shake good humor into oneself. Too often we take ourselves too seriously, frown ponderously and pretend to be solving apocalyptic codes. Come on! Let us give one another permission to enjoy the simple things of life.

I will illustrate. The tomatoes in my garden are ripening beautifully! The dark green to light green, transformation from pink to bright red ought to be celebrated as one of the wonders of life! Picking tomatoes after months of urging the plants through chilly nights and monsoon like rains is success with a capital "S." A fresh tomato and crisp bacon between two slices of buttered toast is breakfast to the max! (I also think that the person who invented "fully cooked bacon" in vacuum sealed packages ought to be considered for a Nobel Prize!) A bacon and fresh tomato sandwich on buttered toast has a tradition for at least 60 years among Wegners.

Yesterday, today, tomorrow – the Lord willing -- I delight in the simplicity of fresh tomatoes. Don’t forget a sprinkle of salt when you choose to join me. Let others blast away with cannons because of a newborn prince. I will delight, briefly but thoroughly, in one of the simple pleasures of life.

Did you say, "I didn’t plant any tomatoes?" Stop over at about 7:00 AM! Bring a loaf of Cracker Barrel sour dough bread with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment