Friday, July 5, 2013

Unknown people often make huge contributions

Periodically I write about people that have influenced me positively and over a long period of time. Only a few of these people have well-known names with marque value. Two men who shaped my life served as church custodians. Norman Schwartz and Sam Vallone served congregations where I was the pastor, in Michigan and New Jersey respectively.

While leading Calvary Assembly of God in Lansing, Michigan the congregation grew quickly. The membership decided to enlarge their building. I was not yet 30 years-old and had no borrowing experience beyond purchasing a second-hand car and far too little building experience. The usual challenges associated with building began to accumulate and I was feeling overwhelmed. Some of the circumstances still seem impossible. And I’ll never forget the day while chatting with Norman. I could lead you to the exact spot where Norman and I stood. In the course of speaking about building matters and a bit about gardening, I offered to take Norman out to lunch. The "Aha moment" happened, right there in the church basement.

"No thank you pastor! I am fasting and praying until we get through this time in the church." To the General Motors retiree and custodian I responded, "Well, maybe tomorrow!" The next line was more startling, "No, I don’t think I will be eating for a while because we are really up against some serious opposition and I intend to see this through with prayer and fasting." I later learned that Norman, modest, quiet, and unassuming didn’t eat or drink anything for more than three weeks! Many people thought that I was responsible for what happened in the church during my tenure, but I am very aware that a retired factory worker prayed through and the church thrived because of Norman’s prayers.

Sam Vallone is the son of Italian immigrants and retired from a major grocery store chain where he was a produce manager. Sam maintained Bethany Church as if it were his most precious possession. Everything was meticulously tended. I cannot remember ever asking Sam about a project or needed repair without hearing, "Pastor, I did it yesterday," or, "It is on my list to do as soon as I . . . !" Everything was impeccably managed. More than once I found Sam crawling on hands and knees looking for flaws in the white enameled pews. When Sam gave notice saying, "The maintenance of the building is too much for me now," Sam had tears in his eyes, and so did I! Sam was absolutely the best.

Few people know Norman and Sam. Their names have not been printed in religious journals. I am quite sure that they have never been quoted in print. They have stood on no stages receiving awards for meritorious service. But they are the "salt of the earth" people who made church life victorious and pleasant. Norman has been living in rooms Jesus prepared for him. Sam is more than 90 years old now. He cannot attend church because of his health. Many attending Bethany Church have never heard his name. But, I want to make sure that you know these men just a little bit and I assume that they will be among the elite in heaven. Jesus did say, "But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first," didn’t He? (Matthew 19:30)

No comments:

Post a Comment