Thursday, January 30, 2014

Constantly Abiding

The song was never one of my favorites, perhaps because as a boy I remember people singing it sadly.. Maybe it is because the melody wasn’t attractive to a restless youth or the fact that only older people seemed to enjoy singing Anne Murphy’s lyrics.

Youth tend to be restless, eager for the action. "Peace in my heart" doesn’t seem as important as daring challenges. And, "the trials of life that surround like a cloud" were not part of my experience that last time I remember singing "Constantly Abiding." But, this morning I awakened to the tune and truth seeking room for recollection deep within. I cannot account for the tune surfacing after so many years. I recall the first verse and refrain.

There’s a peace in my heart that the world never gave
A peace it cannot take away;
Though the trials of life may surround like a cloud,
I’ve a peace that has come here to stay!

Refrain:
Constantly abiding, Jesus is mine;
Constantly abiding, rapture divine;
He never leaves me lonely, whispers, oh, so kind:
"I will never leave thee"—Jesus is mine.


Time and life experience has given me an appreciation for the message. The trials of life, I’ve had a few now. And, I am happy to add, "the peace that has come here to stay," has a deep meaning. Anne Murphy surely had Hebrews 13:5 in mind, "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.’" I imagine Ms. Murphy was also familiar with the passage when Jesus commissioned his disciples in Matthew 28:18-20, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

While I stirred to be fully awake, I was prompted by the words of Jesus in John 14:15-18
"If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever– the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."

Before other morning activities began, I remembered that Father God sent Jesus the Son so that we might know what God looks like, how God acts and to what extent He loves His creation. After receiving Jesus back into heaven at the ascension, the Holy Spirit was sent to live within his followers so that they could demonstrate the very nature of God to a world He longs to reconcile the world to Himself.

"He never leaves me lonely" is true. But I believe we might better sing,
"He always moves me onward, He is present now.
He ever makes Himself known – He wants you as His own."

No one has mistaken me for a poet, and I don’t want to spoil a great song for others. I simply believe the Spirit is present in the church, in people like us, to make the nature of God visible in a world that doesn’t have a clue.

No comments:

Post a Comment