Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Friendship - Part Five

Not all family members are connected genetically. Pat and I often marvel at the church families which nurtured us and those that helped us with the parenting process.

Our first real church family when a pastor, Calvary Assembly of God, embraced our family of three in 1970. Candace was only one-year-old the year we moved to Lansing, Michigan. Several young couples joined the congregation soon after we began ministry there. Two children were added to our clan during our tenure there and we youthful families enjoyed seven years of friendship and learned from one another.

One man, Norman Schwartz, is remembered as a much needed grandfather figure. Norman was an unassuming veteran of the faith. For several years Brother Schwartz cleaned the church and during our conversations, he molded my life with anecdotal reports of his experiences in church life and with the Lord. At one point, without any urging from me or an announcement from the pulpit, Brother Schwartz accepted an assignment to quietly fast and pray for the church. He was at least two weeks into his fast before I learned of his obedience to the Lord, and how he knew it was God’s voice instructing him . Only then did I begin to understand why the church was advancing as well as it was.

Brother Schwartz was retired from General Motors and had more discretionary time than young people with full time employment. He eagerly worked along side of me and other volunteers as the new church was being built. Rock solid in faith, self-effacing, and quiet, I’ll never forget his blushing when I used him as an example of eldership while teaching a mid-week Bible study. The chorus of “Amens” and heads nodding in agreement intensified the redness in his cheeks and his quiet denials were ignored by young and old!

At Bethany Church in Wyckoff, NJ a grandmother in the faith, Sister Catherine Struss, was one of several elders in the faith. Catherine sat near the front, smiled continuously, sighed the Name, Jesus, quietly, and worshiped joyously. Toward the end of more than ten years ministry there, Sister Struss’ health was breaking and church attendance became impossible. I visited her in her daughter’s home as often as I could. I hope I encouraged and helped her, but I know she built end-of-life faith in me. Over the course of several months, Catherine Struss would say, “Pastor, Jesus is getting my rooms ready. They are not quite finished.” Each visit I received an update on the progress of the “rooms” Jesus was building. On one of the last visits, Sister Struss said, “Jesus has had my rooms painted and the carpet is being installed. I will be moving in soon.” And, she did. When I read John 14 I never fail to remember Sister Struss.

Occasionally I hear of churches where children and youth do not worship with the adults of the congregation. I think, “What a shame, there is so much to be learned, simply absorbed as generations share time together.” And, now, I am in the grandparent season of life and increasingly more aware that others are learning by observing me.

Do you remember the song often sung in church?
You will notice we say "brother and sister" 'round here,
It's because we're a family and these are so near;
When one has a heartache, we all share the tears,
And rejoice in each victory in this family so dear.

Chorus
I'm so glad I'm a part of the Family of God,
I've been washed in the fountain, cleansed by His Blood!
Joint heirs with Jesus as we travel this sod,
For I'm part of the family, The Family of God

No comments:

Post a Comment