Friday, September 16, 2011

Friends - Part Seven

Looking back on serendipitous events is a luxury of aging. When we were much younger, we were often too busy parenting a family, addressing vocational challenges, and wondering about our futures to appreciate what we were experiencing. I am reliving one of those special which moments occurred more than 35 years ago.

Our family was taking a few days off to spend with Pat’s parents, allowing them to dote on their grandchildren. On Sunday, we decided to visit Stone Church in suburban Chicago, a landmark congregation then pastored by Owen Carr. On entering the building I was quickly approached by a man that I did not recognize. He reintroduced himself as the Baptist pastor who had visited the Christian bookstore Pat’s family owner. Pastor Ashburn visited the family store to peruse books about the Holy Spirit.

As my father-in-law showed the array of books on the theme, the conversation focused on Biblical evidence that speaking in tongues was normative for those filled with the Spirit. The store had several late Saturday afternoon customers, so my father-in-law introduced me to the pastor saying, “Here, I think Otto will be able to help you.” As I began pointing to the various texts in The Book of Acts, I would inject personal experience, to which, Pastor Ashburn would say, “No, I just want to know the Scriptures.” That had been the only time I had spent with the pastor. Less than an hour, until the day we visited Stone Church.

That Sunday Pastor Carr introduced new members joining the church. When the Ashburn’s names were read, Pastor Carr said, “There is a pastor from Michigan who has been helpful to these folk. Where are you, and would you please stand?” I looked across the aisle and saw another Michigan pastor, and assumed that he was the one who was to be introduced. He didn’t stand. Pastor Ashburn pointed at me! I shrugged, and stood, embarrassed at being recognized.

At the end of the service, Pastor Carr walked toward the foyer to greet people leaving the service, stopped near where we were seated, and said, “Don’t leave!” We waited until he and Sister Carr had finished greeting folk, and then they insisted on taking us to dinner. Pastor Carr said, “I want to know you and about your work.”

I was, and remain, an internationally unknown pastor, and Pastor Carr wants to know me? We had a delightful time of fellowship. The Carrs paid close attention to our children. And a friendship was born that led to more than thirty years of shared ministry. Our lives have never been the same! We have been blessed!

P.S. Pastor Ashburn joined Stone Church as part of the process of becoming an ordained Pentecostal pastor with the Assemblies of God. After our conversation that Saturday afternoon, and after tucking their children in for the night, the Ashburns read the Scripture passages we had reviewed, and prayed, “Lord, if these passages are for us today, fill us with the Spirit now.” The Spirit filled them!

No comments:

Post a Comment